Help..still having problems surfing w/ IE..driving me nuts.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Alf S, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    Hello all,

Sorry for the lengthy post BTW...

I am still baffled by my problem. (Happened w/ Windowss 98 and now carries over to 2000)

I upgraded to Win 2000 Pro and I'm running IE5 version 6.0 SP1 on my 5 year old PC.

For some time now ( a few months), when I connect via my V.92 56k modem, I get connected fine, and it says I have a 50.6 connection speed.

However I start surfing and anywhere from 30 seconds to 20 minutes + (random) my internet sessions comes to a screeching halt. It never disconnects me per se( box never pops up saying to reconnect) I just can't surf...the little computer icon stays on the bottom toolbar and says I'm connected. Usually I end up getting the "page no found" plus I can't check email either because it says I have no connection and can't find server.

It's driving me BATTY! I tried to reinstall IE, nothing changed, I tried to repair W2000, nothing.

I can disconnect, reconnect, and be back alive and surfing again w/ no problem, then of course it may die at any moment. And the process repeats itself.

I don't think it's my ISP, because I can use my laptop to surf without an ounce of trouble.

I'm at my wits end.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Note: I have done all the Windows updates and updated my drivers for my modem.

Thanks
    Alf

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Try another browser. Netscape, Firebird, Opera.

If it happens with another browser you know it's something else. Cloud be your networking settings within Windows too.

3. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    Yes..I had a friend in my IS Dept at work do it all for me.

I contacted my ISP and picked their brains (they are a very helpful group) and one of the tech guys had me make some Network changes in my dial up system that he said should have been installed..something to do with QOS Packet etc...I'm surfing now to see how long I can stay alive w/o reconnecting.

Thanks for the tips and keep them coming!

Alf