Help!!Static ticking sound in center channel!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonRau, Jun 13, 2002.

1. JasonRau

JasonRau Auditioning

I have a sony DreamTheater sorround system w/ a 35in. Toshiba TV. It seems that every time i turn my TV on or off the static charge from the tv is attacking my center channel. The speaker starts making a light ticking sound and lasts for quite some time. I have done enough trouble shooting to conclude that the noise is comming from the static electricity generated by the TV. I've even unplugged the speaker entirely from any components and it still has the ticking sound. Please help me I don't know what to do. I've checked around on the web with no luck at all even finding someone with a remotely similar problem

2. Blake R

Blake R Stunt Coordinator

You've got a real oddball there Jason. I've never heard of that either. It sounds almost as if the electrostatic charge on the picture tube is tracking into, around or across the center channel speaker or cable at power up. My center channel is separated from the TV, being on a shelf in the entertainment center directly above the TV. Is your center channel speaker or cable in contact with any part of the television? The entire television is a heavily charged body with most of the charge accumulation being on the glass. Have you tried wiping the screen with "anti-stat" before turning it on? Be advised this is a wild, wild stab at the problem.

3. JasonRau

JasonRau Auditioning

My center channel is directly on top of the TV but there are little rubber feet on the speaker seperating them. I'm trying to figure out if it's a grounding issue or if there is something I could put between the TV and speaker to block the static!!! The weird thing is that I've had the system for about 4 months but the problem just started about a week ago.

Thanks for your response. Any other info would be A great help.

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I wonder if heat and humidity are adding something here? Have you checked to make sure that of the wires are intact? Are all of the cables, interconnects, and wires separated?

I don't know how the dream theater is laid out, but could you switch the center channel with another speaker to see if another speaker will do this on top of the TV and also to see if the center channel will behave normally in another location?

Good luck!

5. JasonRau

JasonRau Auditioning

Thanks!! That was actually the next thing I was going to try tonight. That would eliminate a any problem with that speaker. The sony system has its own banana plug type connectors on each speaker at the receiver end. The wires are bare at the speaker end. Another thing is that when I touch the speaker the ticking stops, but if I touch the TV screen & speaker it ticks like crazy. So I'm pretty confident it's a static problem, but I don't know if it's because of a change in humidity or my Picture Tube getting old? Is this something that would become more prevelant as the TV gets older (It's about 7 years old)?

6. Carlos_A

Carlos_A Auditioning

My friend had a similar Problem w/Static interference on TV cause by the C-Speaker. The way we fixed the problem was by using a Can of "Static Guard".

We sprayed it on a Soft cloth(until damp) and wiped around the whole TV, center speaker and cables nearby. This helped his problem out. Maybe you could try this out and see if can help you too.

7. JasonRau

JasonRau Auditioning

Thanks, I'll try that. I swaped the center channel with one of my rear speakers(their the same speaker w/my system) and the problem has stopped for the most part. But when I put my ear up to the speaker (the new center channel) I can still hear a faint ticking sound when my TV builds up static. I'm just worried that somehow my original center channel got damaged by being subjected to the static and now the rear one that I'm using as a center will have the same problem over time.

8. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Maybe the problem lies in the TV set itself. The CRT requires alot of voltage (30kV or more) to light the phosphor in the screen. It sound more like you have a high voltage leak inside the set and the speaker is just picking up the problem. You may want to take a trip to the local TV repair shop.

Bill