What's new

HELP speaker placement in small bedroom (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
(Accidently posted this in what is likely the wrong forum before, so apologies dor duplicating it here.)

I would like some opinions on my speaker setup in my bedroom. It is a small room, about 11' by 9'. The theatre is set up with the tv and mains on one of the short walls. This is really the only way it can work, as in addition to it being a small room, it is also a loft with a low, sloped ceiling, about 6ft hight (yeah, I duck when I move around). In addition I have a desk crammed into this room as well, and it can't be moved out. I have tired other furniture arrangemenet, but this is the oly way it works.

I have made a diagram that illusrates to the best of my abilty how i have things set up.

http://www.geocities.com/actorj2001/diagram.gif

my concern is mainly with the placement of the front speakers. they are only four feet apart, and I am thinking that maye they I am not getting an optium stero effect this way. I really don't have a clue how I would fix this, given my space contraints, and the fact that the tv and speaker sit in front of a half wall that indlude a doorway.

Anyway, if anyone has any comments or suggestions, i am all ears.

Bill_San

Auditioning
Jonathan,

I tried to look at your diagram--but the link to the geocities site returned a message from yahoo/geocities saying the page was not available.

So you might need to give a more detailed description. Like are the front mains floorstanders or bookshelves? Are there other mounting or placement options?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If they are 4' apart, then as long as you are sitting about 4' away from them, with them angled towards the listening position, you should get proper stereo effect. 4' is not quite far enough apart, but that is about how far apart I have my speakers in my 2ch system in my bedroom, and they image great when I am in the sweet spot kicking back on my bed. Because my room is nearly square ~10.5' x 11', I get a lot of bass dips and peaks throughout the room, but I can't figure out a better arrangement in my room (two large windows limit where I put furniture).

Todd Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
I can't see the diagram either. Geocities really sucks and won't let you link directly to an image in a lot of cases, you have to link to an html page that has the image embedded in the page.

Anyway, the front speakers being 4 feet apart is ok, since you are not too far from them. Personally, I wold try and get a couple more feet of seperation, but it isn't bad if 4 is your max.

I can't see your diagram, but if you have rear speakers, place them to the sides of the listening area. No point in putting them behid you with that small of a room.

Good luck,
-Todd

DarwinU

Grip
yeah, geocities is wierd like that...here's what you do
1)right-click on the link
2)choose "copy shortcut" from the menu
3)paste the URL in the address bar of your browser and then load up the page

Bill_San

Auditioning
Darwin's "copy shortcut" method works.

Jonathan, what are the L and R main speakers? It looks like they are bookshelfs from the figure.

Can you move the left speaker directly left to a posistion all the way against the wall, on a very sturdy stand or column? That would give you more separation and place each speaker at approximately the ends of the couch. You might have to dodge it a bit entering the room, but it might work.

Or, could you securely mount the L and R mains on the top of the half wall? Put L at the half-wall edge (you might want to lay them on their long side) and R in from the far right wall by the same amount the L is in from the far left wall? This isn't a good idea if the speakers are rear-ported. (I am assuming the half-wall as in the righthand figure, at the top of the drawing--extending beyond the current speaker location. That's not the case in the other drawing.)

As for the rears. Can you push the coach against the back wall and wall mount the rear spearkers higher up on the side walls? Are the rear speakers direct radiators or bipole/dipoles?

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
no, i cannot move the front speakers, unfortunately. what I can od is move the couch forward to be closer to the fronts.

I also cannot mount the rear speakers any higher because of the low ceiling...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks