Help!! Speaker impedance selector? Any damage done?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Antonio, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Antonio

Antonio Extra

Hello,
    I have just bought a Yamaha RX630 and have hooked it up to my Paradigms. From the website, I have gathered that the Paradigm Studio 60s, CC, and atoms are all "compatible with 8 ohms". Right... I have usually seen manufacturers directly state 8 ohms or 6 ohms but I am not too happy with the "compatible" part. Well I have been in a hurry to listen to them and managed to connect all of the speakers without looking at the impedance selector. The system works, albeit dissapointed because the sound didn't have the wow! effect on me.
    From the manual (I should have read this before), "Switch in LEFT position: If you use one set of main speakers, the impedance of each speaker must be 4 ohms or higher. If you use two sets of main speakers, the impedance of each speaker must be 8 ohms or higher. Center and Rears must be 6 ohms or higher."
    "Switch in RIGHT position: If you use one set of main speakers, the impedance of each speaker must be 8 ohms or higher. If you use two sets of main speakers, the impedance of each speaker must be 16 ohms or higher. Center and Rears must be 8 ohms or higher."
    BTW, I have only have one set of speakers as the mains. I have had the switch in the LEFT position for a day now and have listened to probably 6 hours of music so far. Have I done any damage to the speakers or amplifier? What switch position do you guys recommend?
    Is there any effect on the music by the position of the switch? I do not understand the point of the switch if it says if "use this position if greater than 4" and then "use this position if greater than 8".. :[​IMG]: Sorry if this seems stupid... I'm a newbie at this stuff and still learning.

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

From my reading of your post, you are OK. The switch was in the 4 or higher position, and you were higher.

If the total speaker impedence is too low for a particular switch setting, it will either cause the receiver to automatically shut down, or possibly do damage to it. So, they have two switch positions.

I think your question is, if the left position works with all speakers, why have a right position? The answer is that if your total impedence is 8 ohms or more, the right position will give you more power. (I'm sure I haven't said that quite right technically, but that's the general idea.)

Hope this helps...

3. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Keeping the switch to the left limits the current output, which protects your receiver when driving low impedance speakers. However, since you're using only one pair of speakers which are 8 ohms (that's more or less what the "compatible with" part means), I would recommend setting the switch to the right. Your speakers might sound a little better that way, especially on loud passages. If you're concerned, just keep an eye on how hot your receiver gets when playing loud movies at high volumes. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

4. Antonio

Antonio Extra

Thanks for the replies guys.

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Antonio: Here is a thread you may find interesting. My reply is at the bottom. Hopefully, you find it useful...