1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help? Sound (DTS only?) dropping out from in louder scenes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Oct 11, 2001.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    This weekend with nothing to do, i decided to recalibrate my speakers...
    Before, i had my LEFT channel set to +3, with all the other speakers set to the base that the Left channel was +3. Ususally I had to crank up the main volume to -30dB for Movie viewing. I ususally slightly adjust the rear surrounds and center channel for each movie, i guess i adjusted them too often, and before my calibration, the sound was totally out of wack. My previous settings were:
    L - +3dB
    C - +1dB
    R - +3dB
    RS - +4dB
    LS - +4dB
    SW - +10dB
    Since the other channels were either equal or lower than my Left channel setting, i decided to crank up the Left channel setting to its max +10dB, and calibrate the other speakers using the new setting on the left channel. Now my settings are:
    L - +10dB
    C - +6dB
    R - +10dB
    RS - +5dB
    RS - +5dB
    SW - +10dB
    Now when i watch a movie, i only crank the main volume to about -35dB to get the same volume as my previous settings.
    But I just watched Saving Private Ryan - DTS, and i noticed the sound dropped out about a dozen times, with the volume at about -39dB to -35dB. Im not sure if its at random times or not, but it did drop out and its got me worried...
    Do you think my adjustment is pushing the reciever too much? Sometimes with my old adjustment, i cranked the main volume up to -23dB, and it still didn't drop out (mind you this isnt SPR-DTS!).
    When i watched it today, i also didnt let the reciever warm up before i did the beach scene, could that be a factor?
    Also, with my previous settings, theres this thing that kinda bugs me, is that when watching some Satellite TV or any non-digital signal, ususally i have to turn up the main volume louder for DPL surround. But the annoying thing is that when the volume goes up from -30dB to -29dB, it gives a slight CLICK in the speakers, and theres a hiss that comes through after -30dB. And the louder you turn it up from -29dB, it keeps clicking with the hiss getting louder... its no big deal with DVDs because usually i have the volume max at -30dB, sometimes -25dB which is extremely loud and i dont notice the hiss...
    ------------------
    The So Family Home Theater!
    http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
    You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Nick,
    When you are calibrating your speakers are you using a Sound Level Meter and calibrating to 75db? When you set your Left Channel to +10 you effectively are adding +10db to the channel. I know on my Denon 1801 when the channels are set to 0 I can take the volume up to +18, but for every +1 setting to a channel my max volume setting decreases. So if you are setting your AMP channels to +10 then when you set your receiver volume to -35 to -29 this would be the same as if your channels were set to 0 and you turned your volume to -25 to -19. Now depending on the scene in the movie your speakers maybe dropping low in the Ohmn range and really taxing your receivers AMP.
    As far as the hissing goes you may be getting some feedback from the satellite. Maybe some with a sat system to help you.
    Kevin

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I didnt use the SPL this time i calibrated it, coz i dont have one, the first time i borrowed it from somebody, but he sold it...
    The reason I changed the volume in the settings louder so i can watch things in the lower dBs on the main volume to prevent going into the -20dB's, where as I said before creates hiss if you crank it louder...
    I dont think its the satellite thats creating the hiss...
    Its strange, you can BARELY hear the hiss below -30dB, but once you go up a notch to -29dB theres a faint click and it hisses (like flipping on a light switch that turns on a hissing sound), and the more notches you go up, it clicks everytime you go up -1dB, and the hissing gets louder... strange...
    ------------------
    The So Family Home Theater!
    http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
    You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine