What's new

Help! Sony Wega 27" FS13 question (1 Viewer)

alex l-r

Auditioning
Hi everyone,

I'm new at this, so please bear with me as I ask this question. I just got this new set a few days ago (Sony Wega 27" FS13) and boy is it impressive. After living with a not-so-good Sharp 27" for 2 years, after it croaked, I upgraded. Anyway, so I get this new set and hook it up to my Sony DVD and get all the cool stuff going to make it look good, 16x9 output on the dvd, 16x9 enhanced mode on the TV and everything is going fine until I accidently change the channel. I go back to the DVD and it's forgotten that I had 16x9 enhanced mode turned on. So I go back into the menu and turn it on and all is well. Here-in lies my problem, or perhaps I'm just spoiled, but is there a way that this TV can remember that 16x9 mode is turned on for my DVD? I've read around here and other places you can go into the "service settings" area and make it 16x9 permanently, but I don't really want to do that, and tinkering around in the firmware of a TV sort of frightens me, I'm more of a computer guru then a TV one. So, basically what I'm wondering is, is there a macro, a keystroke, something that I can do to make my Wega remember that 16x9 enhanced is on when it comes to the DVDs? Or am I going to have to go into the menu everytime and turn it on manually. If that's the case, I guess it's not really that much of a pain, just one of those small things you'd expect a TV to remember, in this day and age.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any input or information you can provide me on the subject. And one last thing, is this AVIA calibration dvd disc I'm hearing everyone talk about worth it? This is a 27" TV but I'd like to get the best picture quality I can out of it.

Thanks again,
Alex Lawrence-Richards

TimG

Second Unit
In short, no, this model won't remember the setting. The next (either newer or more expensive, can't remember which?) model "auto detects a 16x9 setting". The Avia disc is worth it, I used it on both my 27" tv and my projector. Hopefully someone will chime in with a better answer on the Sony question.

TimG

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
Dont let some of the posters you see here BS you. Just because your set is 'only' 27", its still capable of an excellent image. For some of us, a 27" is all we need, and you CAN see the difference on a 27". I just pretent I have a 54" and I am sitting twice as far from the set;).

Users who are viewing this thread