Help! Sony 775 SACD question......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ReggieW, Dec 20, 2001.

1. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I am looking to replace my decent JVC-258 CD carousel with a new one. I have been considering the Denon 370 ($225.00) with its Burr Brown DAC's, but now realize that I can now get the Sony 775 SACD player ($300.00) for $75.00 more. I would rather get this instead if it will improve my redbook CD's over the Denon 370. My dilemma is that my 6 channel analog outputs on the 1802 are already being utilized for my JVC 721bk DVD-A player. So How will I run SACD without another pair of analog outs? I believe others have had this problem as well, and it appears that only a few flagship receivers carry two sets of analog outs for both. I would please appreciate any advice. I would love to enjoy DVD-A and SACD both, but it looks a little unlikely at this point.
    Thanks,
    R.C.[​IMG]

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie said:

3. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

I have the CE775 - which I use only for multichannel SACD and it a very good performer for the price. I also own the 333ES for stereo SACD and redbook CD. I did a cursory comparision on two different occasions between the 333ES (which listed for $1200 when I purchased it for $800), and the CE775, which I paid $300 for. The 333ES was better in every respect, but I am extremely happy playing multichannel SACD with the CE775 - and I am sure even though the 333ES is better with redbook CD - that the CE775 won't disappoint - but I couldn't tell you how it would compare to the Denon.

On the other hand, I have a similiar problem as you in that I have a DVD-Audio player plus this multichannel SACD player. You could use Keith's idea regarding the switch boxes, or you can merely do what I do - I switch cables when I want to listen to one or the other. At first I was switching cables at the rear of my Integra 6.2 - but that got a bit cumbersome. So I bought RCA cable extenders from Radio Shack - They were Gold series cables - and now I can switch cables at the end of the extenders in less than one minute. I prefer doing this - as I feel it is more direct than sending the signal through an inexpensive switch box, that I understand also has a 75ohm resistor inside.

But you can see you are not out of luck having 2 multichannel sources, you just have to make an inexpensive desicion whether you want to go with switch boxes or merely switch cables.

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    the Denon will yield better redbook CD performance than the SACD player. i did some research on this in the summer and actually owned the '775 a few months ago, but i sold it b/c i needed the $$. i thought my Marantz CC-4000 sounded better with standard CDs than the '775, but the Denon should surpass them all with those Burr Brown DACs.

5. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Thanks for all of the replies. I think Thomas pretty much summed it up for me, and I think I will be going with the Denon for redbook CD. I would love the SACD player, but I would rather wait for prices to drop and get a better model than the Sony 775 (I've heard much regarding the inferiority of this unit to the ES models). The Denon can be had now for around $225.00 with no input hassles. Just slap on the ol' coax cable and I'm ready to go! I am already into DVD-A so that will have to suffice for another year or so. I think it'll work out better in the end if I wait for prices to come down, as I just can't afford $800.00 for an SACD player right now (at least the multi-channel ES model I really want). Thanks again for all of your helpful responses.
    Reg [​IMG]
    P.S. - Also, is it just me, or are newer redbook CD's sounding better these days? I picked up Madonna's "Music" and listened to it with DPL2 in music mode and the bass and overall sonic clarity was outstanding! I think that newer CD's are somehow being better mastered these days.