Help! Sony 5 ES & LFE High Cut Filter & Speaker Crossover Freq?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas Molnar, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Thomas Molnar

Gang

Took delivery of my new Axioms yesterday. Oh my! Good bye Energy Take 5, hello Axiom! Anyways, on my 5ES, I see there is an option to adjust the crossover frequency of the front, center, ans surround speakers. The front and surround speakers are identical - Axiom M3tis. Their frequency response is 60 Hz - 22 kHz (+/- 3 db); 50 Hz- 22 kHz (+3db, -9db). The center's freq. response is 85 Hz - 22kHz (+/- 3db); 50 Hz- 22 kHz (+3db, -9db). Given this information, what should I set the crossover frequencys to on the 5ES?
    Also, I am not sure what the LFE High Cut Filter does. I have a single wire running from the sub pre-out on the 5 ES to the sub input on my sub. Do I need to adjust this parameter. If so, how? Thanks a bunch!

2. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Thomas- Its been a few years since I've set my sub up so I'll be going on memory. First thing to do is set your subwoofer up to receive a full range of sound which in effect turns your sub into a full range speaker. All limitations to the sub will be accomplished with the receiver. You list the bass freq. of your speakers as down to 60hz, so a setting of your crossovers should be a little above this to avoid any possible distortion that could be attributed to an over-estimation from the speaker mfg. or errors in the receiver setting itself. The LFE high cut is the proverbial brick wall, (although a sharp roll off may be a better description) that you want to install to keep out frequencies above a predetermined undesirability, which may require a little experimentation. Ititial setting might be 10hz below the crossover of your mains and rears. Initial setup using a bass heavy DD/DTS recording, which ever you choose, will result in a slightly different subwoofer response. I Used DTS for my initial setup, but you may prefer DD. after making the above settings, Set the sub volumn as desired on the sub itself. This volumn setting will be a one-time thing and all control is now with the receiver. Sub volumn will increase/decrease with the regular volumn knob on the receiver. One final note- The sub volumn knob may be set surprisingly low. On my setup it is about 25% full travel. It may depend on your perticular sub and to some extent, your personal preference.