HELP - signal loss when extending video cables?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by byron, Dec 8, 2002.

1. byron

byron Auditioning

Apr 12, 1999
    After running my video and audio cables under the floor, I just found that I come up 6ft. short! :-(

If I connect 6 ft lengths using male/female plugs to my existing runs, will there be any noticeable signal degradation?

I have bluejeans cable 30ft component video cables using belden 1694A with canare plugs. The stereo audio runs (from TV back to processor) are audio coax 1694A.

Any advice?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999
    The audio is not going to be too much of a problem. But the video...
    This is like having a long walkway in front of your house for people to travel. Putting a barrel-connector with another cable is like inserting another section of walkway, but there is a "step" to the new section. Most people can handle it, but some people are going to stumble.
    In video terms, this will look like momentary ghosting/artifacts. Not really "signal-degradiation", but occasional problems.
    My advice: write Blue Jeans cables and see what they suggest. They might:
    - Allow you to exchange your cable for a longer one giving you credit for the shorter one.
    - Allow you to send back your cable and they will install BNC connectors on one end, and sell you a 6 ft extension with matching BNC on one side and RCA plugs on the other. (Yes, they need the original cable to cut the ends off and install BNC. The BNC connectors do a much better job of maintaining a uniform impedence and they have a "twist-lock" connector instead of the friction-fit RCA plugs). This is very important for the under-the-floor connection that you want to last for years.)
    Just remember that places like Blue Jean cables tend to be low-volume, low-profit places and if they help you, it's likely to blow any profit they made from your business. They would be doing it for positive word-of-mouth from you. Keep this in mind when you deal with them.
  3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Jun 29, 2001
    In a pinch I'd couple them. I'd think the least attractive way would be fudging RCA males/females. More attractive is Bob's suggestion of using BNC's to do the connection but not all BNC's are 75 ohms. I don't know who's BNC's BJ's is using but maybe they'll tell you so's you can be sure. The most elegant is to just buy the right size cable and try to unload the one you have.