What's new

help!! shower head blew off at me!! (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
so I'm lathering up in the shower, and with my back turned to the stream of water, the shower head popped off at me, hit me in the back!!

two parts came off that didn't go down the drain (and I dont' think anything went down the drain. one thick round black rubber washer, and the showerhead. The showerhead itself isn't threaded or anything. I was able to snugly fit the black washer onto the end of the showerhead faucet, and noticed that there is a piece of white plastic that is still sitting on the faucet. I don't know if this was there before, but there seems to be a small crack in this part of the showerhead. it's not threaded so I don't know how to get it off. Is there any way to fix this? and if there isn't, how do I get the small white dealie off, in order to buy a new hsowerhead?

are there different types of showerheads or do they all go on the same way? what's the best place to buy one if I need to do this? home depot?

perhaps I should take this opportunity to purchase one of the performance showers that I saw on this site some time ago...

hmmmmm!

New information!! upon further inspection, (I took the black washer off again), the white plastic piece still on the faucet was indeed cracked. I was able to pull it off the end of the faucet, and it has a hard white plastic piece inside of it that's cracked in two places. I guess I need to get another one. The end of the shower faucet seems to be a ball type shape that seems to be connected with a threadded part to the faucet itself. Do I need to remove this as well, or does it stay on?

what's the best type of showerhead to purchase? I get pretty decent pressure as it is, but I suppose this could always be improved... I don't really have a price point.

Thanks!!

Kevin Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Eckhardt
Paul,

You'll need to remove the 'ball type part' from the 'threaded part' as well. This is where the new shower head will screw on. It's a good idea to wrap the threads with teflon tape before you screw on the new one. As far as recommended showerheads it depends on what you're looking for. I've got the WaterPik Cascadia that was mentioned in the previous shower thread. If I remember correctly it ran me about $40 US

Kevin

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
For heaven's sake, don't use the toilet!

What Kevin said is right. Remove the plastic stuff, you should have a threaded pipe there. I'm pretty sure the thread is standard. Now you can go to your local hardware store, department store, etc. and buy whatever kind of shower head you want.

However, I strongly encourage you not to visit a plumbing graveyard and dig up a deceased showerhead. As you can see, they should be allowed to rest in peace. You got lucky this time, but a possessed showerhead could hurt or even kill you. These things are not to be trifled with.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Paul - If you don't have a Home Depot nearby, Target also carries showerheads, as will most hardware stores. I still have an 8 year old Target watersaver head, and it works like a charm. I paid $2 on clearance for it.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Save some money while you're at it. Get an energy saving showerhead. They're not that much more expensive than regular showerheads, and they're usually entirely made of metal.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
The showerhead I got from Home Depot, a Speakman, works really well. It has a little ring so you can decrease the flow to next to nothing so you can soap-up and it adjusts easily from wide-spray to focused spray. It also has an easy-cleaning waterflow restrictor that comes out VERY easily,

for cleaning,

of course. ;)

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
If you stick your finger in the water outlet it'll spray. No need to invest in a new showerhead. Now if your finger blows apart it could be messy........

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Well today I finally had the time to go to Home Depot and get a shower head (been working all day and training all night for the last few weeks, from 8am-11pm). In the meantime I showered with the remains of the showerhead, I have to admit. it produced a really strong concentrated stream of water but worked, and was quicker than a bath.

I grabbed a DELTA showerhead #1461CN from Home Depot here in Calgary. It cost me $55. I also got some teflon tape and a pair of pliers which I did not own previously. Is anyone familiar with this model? (1461CN - I'm guessing the CN means Canada).

Does it have a waterflow restrictor which I have to remove? how do I remove it? any experience with this one? it looks cool. all metal, with a green plastic ring of fingers that shoot water...

there are 7 sprays on this thing!! COOOOOOL!! I'm going to unwrap it soon and see if I can get it on...

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Look at the end that screws on the pipe and see if there is any kind of screen that can be removed. The instructions may mention it as something that needs to be cleaned on occasion. But you only really need to remove it if you find the spray to weak.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I should add that this one comes with a hose. would it be on the hose that connects to the hose mount? (I don't see anything on the hose mount. I see on the end of the hose that connects to the hose mount there is a washer, and a ... plastic thing, I wouldn't say it was a screen, but definitely has smaller holes for the water to pass through. (I thought the restrictor would be right on the head itself, but Iknow absolutely nothing about this stuff) I'll check the manual to see if it mentions cleaning this thing.

Also, is there anything I need to clean off the old teflon tape (or whatever it is) from the end of the fixture? or should I not bother and just tape over what's already there?

Thanks Keith!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks