Help! Should I get a Panasonic SA-HE 200?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony-Merit, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Tony-Merit

Tony-Merit Agent

I have a Technics SA-DX750 that has 100 Watts per channel stereo (2 channels) or 80 Watts per channel surround 5 channels. With built-in 5.1-channel Dolby Digital.
    3 digital inputs (2 optical, 1 coaxial) with Output for subwoofer. I got about a year ago.
    A friend of mine works at a local electronic store and told me he can give me a deal on a Panasonic SA-HE200 for $249.99. I have done some research but I am still not sure if the Panasonic SA-HE200 is that much better than my Technics SA-DX750? So should I buy the Panasonic SA-HE 200 or keep my Technics? I do not much about receivers so any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

since no one answered you, i will offer what little i can...

i dont know anything about the technics...however the recent panasonic receivers got surprisingly good reviews...

i have no opinion, but one of the magazines i read said it was surprising good, and the amp section tested well.

good luck

Rich

3. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

the amp sections are similiar..the panasonic is newer therfore has more "features" whether these matter to you is up to you

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I would say a lot depends on what you use the receiver for most of the time. If you use it a lot for watching tv then I would say go for the Panasonic because it has Dolby Pro-logic II & DTS NEO:6 The only other reason to go for the Panasonic would be the center rear speaker (Dolby EX, DTS ES) & that you'll have to decide for yourself if the money is worth it.

5. Tony-Merit

Tony-Merit Agent

I listen to Home theater about 40% and music 60% of the time. My Technics SA-DX750 does not do a bad job with HT but I think it could better job with the music. I have not heard what the Panasonic SA-HE200 sounds like I was just wondering if any has head one.

Thanks

6. Tony-Merit

Tony-Merit Agent

I listen to Home theater about 40% and music 60% of the time. My Technics SA-DX750 does not do a bad job with HT but I think it could do a better job with the music. I have not heard what the Panasonic SA-HE200 sounds like I was just wondering if any has heard one.

Thanks

7. Joe_B_M

Joe_B_M Extra

I have the HE-200 and I would definitely recommend it. I've had it for about 2 weeks and it has worked great. It sounds very good to me although I can't directly compare it to any of the receivers that are generally recommended here. For $375 delivered ($499 list price) you get DD EX, DTS ES, Neo 6, Dolby PL II, and very good 130W per channel sound, which is very hard to beat. I believe it's little brother the HE100 tested very well as far as actual watts per channel. To top that off it's one of the best looking receivers I've seen, although that is subjective, it does a very sweet looking brushed aluminum face. It also seems to be built very solid. It's definitely a few steps up, both cosmetically and performance-wise, from my previous Sony.

You do get a free rear center speaker, small gray one, while not the best it will put you into 6.1 sound right away, and Rush Hour 2 DVD that has DTS ES sound. Heck, that saves you about $20 right there on the DVD alone.

Once again, for the money it's very hard to beat.

8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The HE200 will trounce your 750 in every respect AND you're getting a great deal to boot. DO IT!