Help Sharpening Up Tosh 57HX81

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Edward, Mar 28, 2002.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

My TV is now a week old, and I like the big, scan line-free picture.

BUT- I find the picture on the verge of blurry. Oddly, though, closeups are quite sharp. But as the camera moves away from the actor, or scenery, the picture blurs. Even steady landscape shots at a distant object are blurry. For

you camera buffs, it appears as if there is a very shallow depth of field, with everything outside of it blurry.

I'll look at a closeup and say WOW, but as soon as the camera moves away, it becomes blurry. Kind of like what you see when watching a football game.

I am using Sony 700P progressive player into the YPPbr inputs. Color, contrast, brightness, tint all seem dead on.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What was your previous display, and which program sources are you using as your reference material?

And have you converged the Tosh?

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

How do the on-screen menus look? Have you performed a 9-point manual convergence?

4. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Jack- I am using various DVD's (Castaway, U-571, Desperado, etc.) thru the progressive outs on the player, into the YpPbr inputs. I won't even go into how the analog cable signal looks(awful). As I say, specific instances can look brilliant, as when in U-571 they're being depth charged and Captain says, "Step away from that bulkhead Mr. Hirsch." The closeup is great. But then it falls apart.

Previous display was analog 32" JVC.

JohnnyG- I have done the 9 pt. convergence, about 6 times.

Not sure what you mean by how do the on-screen menus look. But I'll take a guess and figure if they look sharp, I should look more closely at my inputs; cables, etc. Yes? No?