HELP: Setup Energy e:XL system (wire and receiver)

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JonesW, Jul 15, 2003.

1. JonesW

JonesW Auditioning

I got an used system here:

a set of e:XL 26 (front)
    a set of e:XL 15 (rear)
    one of e:XL-C (center)
    one of e:XL-8 (subwoofer)

I don't have decent receiver and will use my current receiver for now, which is the Toshiba DVD player + Onkyo receiver: Toshiba SD-6109C (5 Channels at 50 Watts)
    http://www.bestphotovideo.com/store/toshibasd6109.html

Now I'm using a very thin wire (don't know how many gauge) without any connectors, just strip the jacket and screw the copper to the speakers.

What type of wire with what type of connector should I use for these speakers? And on the back of the e:XL 26, there are 4 speaker sockets (2 black, 2 red), should I hook up all four of them or hook up 1 red and 1 black should be fine? Where can I buy those cable online?

At last, what receiver (specific brand & model#) would you recommend for upgrade in the near future or do you think my current integrated DVD+receiver will do just fine?

Anyone here with these speakers? Any tips on how to take care of them? Can they expose under the sun (the speakers is near the sliding glass door)?

Thanks in advance for your helps [​IMG]

2. Christopher E

Christopher E Stunt Coordinator

The 4 speaker terminals are meant for bi-wiring or bi-amping. The advantages of bi-wiring are questionable, but if you try it make sure to remove the metal bracket between the terminals. I can't remember if it says in the manual but on my eXL-25's I am using the bottom terminals for my single wired setup, you may be able to use either though.

You can buy thicker speaker wire pretty much anywhere. I heard you can get real cheap speaker wire at home hardware. I use 12 gague phoenix gold wire and it sounds fine. It was less than a buck (cdn) per foot.

I have one of my 25's near a window and it gets a fair amount of light, but it hasn't seemed to hurt it. If you have the little feet that come with the floorstanders you might want to use them. Lifting the speakers off the ground will improve upper bass, and decrease resonances in the floor, giving overall better response.

Your current receiver will work, but you might want to consider upgrading. The 26's have big bass drivers which require a fair amount of power to drive at louder volumes. What crossover frequencies does your receiver support? I used to cross my XL system over at 80hz but found that the center channel couldn't go down quite that low, so I bumped it up to 100hz. I used to have a crappy Kenwood receiver, which when coupled with the energies sounded overly bright as well as underpowered. It advertised 100watts a channel, but I believe the real output was somewhere closer to 20watts with all channels driven. I bet your receiver's real output is also down around that number. I later upgraded to a Denon-1803 (for $690 cdn), and it made a world of difference. It has plenty of power and a much nicer sound.

3. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

I have an Onkyo TX-SR500 65 WPC powering my E:XL26's with the little Take 2's as my surrounds. It has adequate power for my large living room. I guess it is according to how loud you want to listen. For most of my listening it is loud enough. There has been an occasion where I really wanted to crank it up and I wished for more power. I am using 12 ga. speaker wire with no connectors that I got at Lowes and for me it works fine. As a matter of fact, I tried to upgrade the wire to some fancy oxygen free wire with gold plated banana connectors and I thought it sounded worse to me. I did bi-wire my speakers and noticed a small improvement. Based on your set-up bi-wiring you may not notice anything. Just try it and see.

4. Mike_ROG

Mike_ROG Extra

I have the following Energy speakers in my HT:

XL-25 fronts
    XL-C center
    XL-15 rear(l-r)
    XL 10" sub

I was using a crappy Sony receiver for a couple of years. It finally started to go out on me so I upgraded to the Denon-1803 just like Christopher.

I made my new receiver purchase this past weekend. The difference was like night and day.

Just as Christopher stated in his post, the Sony I had was rated at 100w per channel, but it was more like 30w. I could crank it up but the distortion was real bad.

The Denon-1803 is only rated at 80w, but it is a high current receiver, not like the low current Sony, Kenwood, and Pioneer.

That difference alone will make it louder and more crisp than any other $300.00 - $400.00 receiver at BB and CC that says it has 100w per channel.

Spend the extra money, you will not be sorry.

The MSRP on the Denon-1803 is $499.00.

There are many online retailers that sell it for less than that, some are less than $400.00. They may not be authorized to sell Denon and it will effect your warranty.

I can point you in the right direction for an online purchase if you PM me.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

6. JonesW

JonesW Auditioning

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check out the 12 gauge wire at the local stores. I looked at the manual and it showed bottom terminals for single wire.

As for receiver, I think I'll hold on for a while before I upgrade ($ issue [​IMG] )