help setting up sub please? Other q? as well.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dave-Z, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Dave-Z

Dave-Z Agent

Hi Folks

Currently building a PSB system: only have the Stratus Silveri's at this point. No Center, and temporarily using Athena AS-B1's for surrounds. Trying to build a system to last me the next decade or two, so better quality bit by bit than an all at once less than desirable system. Also, powering with a Denon avr-1700(80w pc). no receiver crossover settings. Will advance to NAD 763 most likely, as PSB are 4ohm, and need NAD's clean power to run them properly.

So, had some extra cash, and decided to grab a temporary sub until I can get the SVS I want...

Anyway, ended up grabbing the Velodyne cht-10" 150w. Seemed many people had favorable experiences with this line of subs, and the price at $350 wasn't bad.

My main question is this: How do I best set my sub up for universal use, ie music, tv, dvd...?

I have the choice of bypassing the subs crossover, but since I don't have anything adjustable in my current receiver, I'm guessing I need to rely on the sub crossover. Range choice is 40-120hz.

I have also set my speakers all to small for the time being, but I'm not sure that it's the best thing to do with my Silver's, since they are almost full range already:

On Axis @ 0° ±3dB 35-21,000Hz
    On Axis @ 0° ±1.5 dB 40-20,000Hz
    Off Axis @ 30° ±1.5dB 40-10,000Hz
    LF Cutoff -10dB 26Hz

I'm not really sure what to do to best utilize the full range of my silvers as well as enjoy the depth of the sub, or rather find the sweet spot that offers the best of both.

Should I go Large on the fronts, and set the crossover at say, 40Hz? Go Large and crank the cross to 120, or will I lose signal due to competing sounds from the sub and speakers?

With the sub on and fronts set to small, I can't change the surrounds to anything but small, so for now that decision is out of my hands.

Also have the LFE set to 0db, haven't a clue what would be best in this department.

I'm spending money, but maybe ahead of my knowledge. Always hate that feeling.

Another annoying thing that makes me feel uncomfortable is that the Velodyne looks for 2 RCA inputs(stereo), but my receiver has only a mono output, so right now I'm just conecting via one channel(red) on the sub, and am concerned I might be missing out on performance.

As for placement, I have the sub under the TV in a large cabinet I built into my self-made entertainment center, oak through and through, with a solid rear. (Velodyne has forward firing sub).

Lastly, I would be very curious as to how people might answer the following question: Given my current set-up (PSB Silveri's, Athena AS-B1 surrounds, and Denon avr-1700)and goals : adding/replacing with Stratus C7 center, Stratus Mini's for surrounds, SVS sub and NAD 763(maybe 773)... Let's forget I even have the Velodyne for a second. With this list, what would be your order of purchasing? Power, center, surround, sub? I'm having 1 part buyers remorse, 1 part lack of focus(Am I doing this right or wasting money, which could be better spent if I waited another payday or 3).

Thanks to everyoone who responds and advises. I know this is a long and multi-part post, but I am just in a quandry and am unsure as to what I should be doing, or if I am doing ok, how best to implement it.

Thanks again!

2. Dave-Z

Dave-Z Agent

come on guys, really need some advice here.

3. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

RADIO SHACK SPL METER, Center speaker, sub, surrounds, power. Hope this helps.