Help setting up Sony TV to accept a progressive signal

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ron-P, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    My brother recently bought a Sony TV and DVD player. He's having trouble getting the TV to properly display the progressive image.

I know nothing of these two. Can anyone assist me with the proper DVD player and TV settings.

Sony FD Trinitron WEGA model KV-36FS210
    Sony CD/DVD model DVP-NS725P

Peace Out~[​IMG]

2. John S

John S Producer

There is not much to set...

Set the DVD player for 4:3 display, if this set has component input, make sure the DVD player is capable of using the component video in 480i mode, some progressive players only do 480p out the component video out. If this is the case you will have to make the connection via svideo.

keep in mind this TV is not an EDTV (480p) or a HDTV (720p,1080i).

480i only for this guy....

3. John S

John S Producer

Actually I take that back, it does seem some of these are equipped to handle EDTV and HDTV. But some of them aren't?

Very odd, but Sony's website says if it is equipped with the Hi-Scan Ciruitry?

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Ron, the Sony FS-series WEGAs are not progressive scan-capable; they are strictly NTSC-only. But it has a 16:9 mode, so, contrary to John's suggestion, the DVD player should be set up for 16:9 output. JB

5. John S

John S Producer

Good point Jack Briggs,
    Yes, I forgot some 4:3 Non-HD sets still offer native widescreen mode.

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    OK, so, I need to tell him to set the DVD player to 16:9 when he watches a DVD, yes? His TV does have the Hi-scan circuitry deal.

Thanks guys.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

7. John S

John S Producer

Yes, then he needs to set the TV to the native widescreen mode, and I don't know what they actually call that mode.

Good luck with it.

8. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I've got an FS and I think that Jack's comment needs to be seconded. There IS a difference between progressive and anamorphic and I think that was glossed over...

9. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

This is very confusing. Hi-Scan would infer the set can handle progressive wouldn't it? Mine does (it's Hi-Scan HDTV ready). If it IS progressive capable you may have to set the DVD player to 16:9 and progressive out and activate the squeeze on the TV manually (unless they have fixed that now). On my set which is a few years old, if you send a progressive signal to the set, the TV will not perform the squeeze automatically. I was most annoyed until I realized the Sony's DRC is mighty fine (even without 3:2 pulldown) and I only need an interlaced signal from the DVD player.

If the set is NOT progressive capable, then the DVD player should still be set to 16:9 but interlaced out and the TV should handle the squeeze for anamorphic just fine.

N

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If the TV in question is called "High Scan," then it's not an FS-series WEGA. There's the HS series of WEGAs, and they are ATSC-capable. Ron, ask your brother again what model he has.

11. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Thanks Jack. I've searched and all I've found is this:

I'll ask him if he knows if it is a hi-scan or not.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

12. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Ron,

The FS210 series is not hi-scan. It only accepts and displays 480i. It does have the 16/9 mode however.

The Wega models that are hi-scan and thus capable of accepting and displaying 480p are either the HS-510 models or the XBRs.

The FS210 series is identical to the base model FS100 with the addition of 2-tuner PIP.