Help setting up new HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce-C, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Bruce-C

Bruce-C Auditioning

Not only am I new to the HDTV arena but I am rather new to the internet (yes I have been living under a rock) so if my questions and methods are a bit naive please excuse me.

I recently won an HDTV (Mitsubishi WS-55809) and had it delivered and installed. I have it connected to a Scientific Altantic Explorer 2000 Digital Cable Box.I am utlizing an S- video cable and RCA audio cable. My first question is.. Why is the picture not significantly clearer and sharper than the picture on my RCA 32" standard TV? Also, although this unit is a widescreen TV, movies still appear with the black bars above and below.

Do I need an HDTV converter to gain full advantage of the features this television offers?

Thanks

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Hi Bruce, welcome to the HTF.

We have an area dedicated specifically for this very topic so I am moving this thread there. You should get a better response there.

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Get an HD set top box as soon as you can..With all the HD programming in the NYC metro area, you can enjoy the fantastic picture quality of HD that nothing comes close to..Order an HD set top box from TWC....

4. Peter Rohlfs

Peter Rohlfs Stunt Coordinator

Bruce,

I'll take a stab at a couple of the questions:

You will get better picture quality when playing anamorphic DVDs (I know you didn't ask about DVD) as long as you tell your dvd player you have a anamorphic TV set.

The black bars issue:

If the movie was wider than 16X 9 (and many are) it will still require a letter box for the same reason a letterbox is required on a regular TV.

Peter

5. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

Hey Bruce,

Welcome to the forum!

6. Bruce-C

Bruce-C Auditioning

Thanks for some very informative responses however now new questions arise

1. All HDTV receivers I have looked at make mention of either DirecTV or Dish Network. Do I need to subscribe to these services to utilize an HDTV receiver?

2.Do I use the receiver/decoder in addition to my Digital Cable Box or instead of it?

3.I currently have my cable box and DVD/AV receiveron topof my TV console. I ahve heard this adversly affects the quality of the piture. Is this true?

Thnks again

7. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Seeing that you live in NYC, if you have Time warner Cable, just call them and tell them you want a HD box instead of your digital cable box..They will rent it to you at the same price as your digital box..You will have a wait though..Any where from 30 to 45 days