What's new

Help setting up new DVD player please! (1 Viewer)

GregA

Auditioning
I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to hooking up home theater equipment, so when I got my parents a DVD player for their home theater, I was a bit out of my league when it came to actually installing it. I'm hoping the experts here can help me get this figured out and set up right.

Ok here goes:

I've got a Toshiba SD-3750 DVD player, a ProScan TV, and a Yamaha RX-V690 receiver. I am trying to hook up the DVD using the S-Video connection on the TV, and am using regular RCA audio inputs to the receiver (it does not have coax or toslink digital inputs). Currently I have the 2 RCA's going into the receiver on VCR2 (VCR1 is taken by, well, the VCR). This does let me get sound out of it, but it sounds like all sound is coming out of just the two front speakers (the speaker setup is a 5.1). I haven't figured out how, but somehow the VCR is plugged in so that it will use all the speakers. Also as of now, I have no picture coming into the TV, I've tried looking on Video 1 and on Video 2 inputs, neither of them show a signal. So... if anyone has suggestions, I would be so grateful if you could help me figure this out!

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I'll take a shot at this even though I'm not familiar with any of these components. First the audio, I think that since you are using analog RCAs you can at best, have a Pro-logic set-up. If this is the case then you must make sure that the input selected(VCR2 in this case) has Pro-logic selected.If you don't have this enabled you will only get information from the front mains just like you would with the VCR.
Video, since you are using an S-video connection and not component there may be an option in the TVs menu that lets you choose whether an input is S-video or component. I think some TVs do this to allow maximum options while not going crazy on the actual amount of seperate input signals. This would be in the manual if it were the case. Another thought I just has was that maybe the DVD player has a similar option in the menu. See if it lets you change between S-Video and component from the DVD player.
I hope this has helped you and good luck.
ps, welcome to the forum :)

PaulKH

Second Unit
GregA - if that receiver has a digital input then use that instead of the analog stereo RCA cable pair. Doesn't the receiver have a DVD input specifically, rather than just two VCR inputs?

GregA

Auditioning
Yeah that's part of my problem, the receiver is a few years old and the only audio it has it RCA in, it's a Dolby Pro-Logic. DVD wasn't around then to speak of, so there wasn't optical or digital inputs on the receivers. By the way I do have it working now, I found that I needed to tell the TV to look on the S-Video input, not the composite input.. I guess I thought it would just know to do such a thing. The rear speakers do have sound in them now, just not super great. Now trying to convince parents to get a receiver that supports DTS/Dolby Digital.. but good luck on that, since I had to buy the DVD for them, drag them into the 20th century as it were. Anyway, thanks to everyone's help here. Glad I found this site.. will definitely have to hang out more, so I can get some tips for the home theater I hope to build when I finish college :)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Hey Greg, glad you got things going. On another note, are you going to Texas A&M? A friend of mine is in the Archeology department there. Anyway, good luck getting your folks to go digital, it's definitely worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks