What's new

help setting speakers with avia and spl meter (1 Viewer)

Adam_D

Stunt Coordinator
ok i hope i finally got my spl meter yesterday to configure my speakers with my avia disk and i'm having some problems. i understand how to use the meter and all but how/what do i actually change on the reciever to set the speakers (using a sony str-da4es and energy c-7's, c-c1, and c-r1's)? i looked on the avia and couldn't find anything telling me how to do that (hope i didn't miss it on there:b ). sorry if this is a dumb question but it's my first time doing this. ty.

adam

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The first thing I would recommend is giving your receiver manual a read through.

Each speaker has it's own adjustment, and can be accessed through the OSD. If you don't have the OSD hooked up, it can be done from the front panel. I don't remember the exact sub-menu, but it will be where the speaker size/distance/x-over settings are. You will need to set the speakers to "small", which will give you the ability to set the x-over point for each speaker.

Adam_D

Stunt Coordinator
ok your saying to increase or decrease just the x-over freq under the set-up menu? and what volume do i start at or where do i start? do i just turn up the volume till i get 75 on the meter from one speaker and tune the rest from that? thanx for the help as soon as i know where i'm starting at and what i'm changing i should be good:)

adam

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
No, you don't change the x-over to adjust the volume using your SPL meter. You adjust the volume for each channel via the menu that you can find by reading the manual for your receiver thoroughly. Avia does not have instructions for the many different menus on all the various receivers out there. The goal of adjusting the speakers is to get them all to play at the same level, so if you don't care about setting to reference, just turn the volume up a ways, start with one channel, and set all the other channels to that volume using Avia and your SPL meter. If you want to set reference you need to put the volume at 0 and calibrate to (85dB for Avia right? I forget precisely. Either 75 or 85, it tells you) for each channel.

The crossover adjustment depends on your subwoofer, and the bass capabilities of your speakers. That would take some more advanced measurements to get that really perfect, I would use a standard crossover somewhere around 80-100 hz, i dunno what the different ones are on the Sony. MY receiver just has a fixed x-over so it's not an issue.

You also need to measure the distance to each speaker, and enter that into that menu, which sets the delay for each channel.

Also, do a search here, and I beleive also on the Beginner's FAQ, there are some explanations on Avia and SPL calibration.

If you're still confused, go ahead and ask more questions.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I setup my friend's 3ES, and adjusted the x-over to each set of speakers relative to what they were capable of, ie; his surrounds are only capable of 80Hz, so I gave them a high x-over, while his mains are floorstanders with decent low end response, so I set them small with a lower x-over (I don't remember exactly what I set them to). I don't think that is what you were asking, but Chris is correct in stating that x-over will not play a significant role in setting the SPL for your speakers.

do i just turn up the volume till i get 75 on the meter from one speaker and tune the rest from that?
That's what I do, I start with the front left at 0 (+5dB on the SPL meter, or reference), then adjust the others to match.

I would recommend this as good reading as well :emoji_thumbsup: :

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...553#post650553

Adam_D

Stunt Coordinator
ok thanx for all the info i got everything set now. now my center doesn't seem to be so overpowering:) thanx.

adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks