What's new

help set up newbie (1 Viewer)

ruskyplayer

Auditioning
Real Name
tony rachevsky
i just bought a sony receiver str-dg510 and i started to hook it up. once i thought everything was hooked up nothing worked.

i want to hook up my ps3, x-box 360 and my cable box to the recever.
i have hdmi cables going from the ps3 and xbox to the reciever and an hdmi cable going out to the tv.
the cable box is going to the component input for satilite and component cables going out to the tv.
once all that was done i turned the ps3 on and it showed picture and the sound came from the tv not the speakers.
the cable had no sound and the picture was horrible.

is it possible if someone can walk me through the set up
thank you
tony

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

And you don't say anything about what happened when you tried the XBox.

Bob is right - you may need to run the set-up on the receiver menus. You may also have to go through the set-up on the cable box (once you have some kind of audio cable connected - I'd use digital optical if that's an option.) Ditto the two game systems.

You don't say if you have HD cable or not. Did the cable picture look good before you added the receiver? What is the make and model of the cable box?

Regards,

Joe

ruskyplayer

Auditioning
Real Name
tony rachevsky
bob- i dont know if i set it up in options menu.

joe- i had the sat audio cables hooked up to its audio inputs on the reciever.
the picture was very bad. for the ps3 on the reciever screen when i had the input selector on dvd the coaxel light was on, not the hdmi light. the model of the cable box is Exporer 8300hd and it is an hd cable box. the x box does not hook up

what did you mean by "Ditto the two game systems"

the instructions were to confusing for me so maybe you can guide me through the start up.

thank you
tony

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I meant that you might have to go through the setup on each of the game systems to confiugure the outputs.

I understand that manuals can sometmes be confusing, but they can tell you the specifics of what inputs and outputs are availalble on your devices - which is something most of us can't, because we don't own all of the same equipment and aren't familiar with the details of all the pieces you are trying to connect.

It would also help if you gave us the model number of your TV. Also you don't seem to have answered my question about whether the cable picture suddenly became bad when run through the receiver, or were there problems before that.

Thanks,

Joe

ruskyplayer

Auditioning
Real Name
tony rachevsky
regarding the cable box. i have cable not satilite, how i have it hooked up is the blue, green and red colored rca cables in the "sat in" of the component video part, and the same colors going from the monitor out into the component video of the tv. then in the back of the receiver there is the sat audio in for the red and white rca and i had those hooked up to the back of the tv in the same component video inputs. the tv that i have is a 37" lcd by vizio VX37L. the picture from the cable box was bad after i hooked it up. it was good b4 never had a problem.

the ps3 hdmi, i was trying to figure out how to change it and i didnt have no idea how to do it. couldnt find it in the manual.

xbox is hooked up with hdmi cable and i dont think i changed it on the game system it self i thought it would work.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Playstation 3 HDMI Installation Instructions

Confirm the formats supported by your audio device.
Settings vary depending on supported formats. For details, refer to the instructions supplied with the audio device.
Select (Sound Settings) under (Settings) in the home menu.
Select [Audio Output Settings].
Select the input connector on the audio device. Channel numbers and audio formats that are supported vary depending on the connector in use.

Have you been trying this with PS3 or PS3 games?

When using an HDMI cable, only [Linear PCM 2 Ch.] audio will be output from PlayStation®2 and PlayStation® format software. To output Dolby Digital or DTS audio, you must connect the PS3™ system and the audio device using a digital optical cable and switch to [Digital Out (Optical)] under [Audio Output Settings].

Re: Lousy cable picture. Define lousy. Are the colors off? Is it blocky and pixelated? When the picture looked good earlier, was it also connected to the TV via a component input? (And was it the same component input?

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks