Help save Ernest Goes to Camp!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_S_H, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Noticed this on DVD Talk. Disney will be releasing EGtC (and who ever thought this movie would earn an acronym?!) in a bare bones, full frame/P&S version. Now, the bare bones, I couldn't care less. But, we gotta fight for OAR.
    I know many (most?) of you probably don't give a rat's rear end about EGtC, but I've seen the power of this forum, and I know you can all help make this a reality. I think the stakes have been raised by the fact the director is now involved and wants to see his movie done right.
    http://dvdtalk.com/cineschlock/ernest/

2. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Now THIS means war [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I've waited ages for EgtC to hit DVD (nope, not being sarcastic. I LOVE that movie), and they are NOT gonna force-feed me P&S. Gah!
    If it's released full-frame only, I'm boycotting ALL Disney product. I'm serious. F*ck the mouse.

3. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I just fired an e-mail off to Disney about this.

I really want to buy all his movies

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Thanks for the info! I'm an Ernest fan, and don't want to see the DVD butchered. Please post any information or suggestions, as they develop.

[EDIT]

I read the article at dvdtalk.com, then called Disney. I've never called a comment line before, but it was painless. I spoke to a nice lady named Debbie. I told her I was pleased to learn that the Ernest movies were coming to DVD (fan from my childhood). But I was concerned at early news they would be P&S only. I said I would gladly purchase them if release in widescreen. She took my statements, and I gave her my contact info as well. She clearly was familiar with these sorts of comments, as she used the phrase "proper theatrical aspect ratio", which I didn't use specifically.

As others have said, I was gracious, and gave my praises first. I then expressed "concern". And I thanked her when we were finished.

5. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

Well I was hoping out of all those movies coming this summer from Buena vista that Ernest Saves Christmas and Goes to camp would be widescreen, since I saw those in theaters. That just saddens my day.

6. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

It's nice to see how they care so much about a beloved former Disney employee's memory.
    Thanks Buena Vista for spitting on Jim Varney's grave. I noticed there was no tribute on the Atlantis disc for him either. [​IMG]
    I will not purchase Pan and Scan!!!!!
    That would make $120 not paid to Di$ney for failures on Angels in the Outfield, White Fang, and all four Ernest movies.

7. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

8. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Am I crazy, or does anyone else think Jim Varney had a lot of untapped potential as an actor? Don't ask me why, but I used to have a "fantasy" that he was picked by some brilliant director to play in a serious role, and was guiding to an Academy Award nomination. Okay, it does look weird in print, I admit. But, there was some b-movie (I think it was a Shannon Whirry ( [​IMG] ) skin flick (somebody left it on and I couldn't find the remote [​IMG]) where he played a totally different character and I found it fascinating. He also did a great job as Jed Clampett, even if the movie was rather terrible.
    Anyway, sorry to disrupt my own thread. Let the campaign continue!

9. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I saw the thread at DVDTalk, but where did people discover this film's aspect ratio for DVD? I'm just curious if films like "Ed Wood" and "Cabin Boy" are still up in the air.

10. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

11. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale

12. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

13. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale

14. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

15. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

Are they still confirmed as pan&scan only?

16. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

That's pretty messed up. I already called them once about Snow Dogs.

17. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

If they MAR Captain Ron I'll be PISSED!

18. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

This is sad. I actually own this movie on Laserdisc, and although that is full frame, I dont need two copies of the same movie in Full Frame. If I were to ever "double-dip" with this movie and get the DVD, it would have to be OAR. Supplements would be nice, but not nearly as important as a good 16x9 transfer.

19. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Disney needs to get out of the 20th Century. It's the 21 Century now. Widescreen HDTVs plan to fully take over the old shitty 4x3 TVs in 2006. WhyTF are they releasing Pan and Scan shit when we'll just have to replace them again for our widescreen TV? I'm gonna have a widescreen TV someday and I don't want black bars on the side, which are way more annoying then the top and bottom black bars. That's pretty sad. I wonder how many calls Disney is getting about this situation. I hope it's enough so they'll release an OAR version of all the movies they butchered. Remember, my petitions are still up to support OAR.
    Help End the Pan and Scan Process
    and
    Letterbox on Starz and any other movie channel.
    So far, I sent the first petition to Disney and sent the second to Starz. I plan to send them to more and more movie networks and such.

20. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

From what I hear, of the four Ernest movies being released:

One is 4x3, but letterboxed

Two are 4x3 and fullframe

...and one is glorious 16x9

I'll leave you in suspense as to which movie is getting which format.