1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help Save Abbott & Costello's AFRICA SCREAMS!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Bob Furmanek, Dec 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    It's extremely rare when you can compare the original recorded session with the edited broadcast master!

Tony Bensley likes this.
  2. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    Check out today's update for a complete list of the exciting bonus extras! www.tinyurl.com/saveabbottandcostello

Please remember that you only have until 9:00 PM EST on December 30, 2019 to pledge for this campaign and have your name appear on-screen in the restoration credits. Don't miss this unique opportunity to be a part of this exciting project and help us to preserve and restore this classic Abbott and Costello comedy.

Randy Korstick and Mark-W like this.
  3. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    I’m excited to see this release, not just because my name will be in the credits, but because of all the work that went into it.

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I predict this is gonna be *the* classic film physical media release of 2020!

Between the restoration of the film itself and the plethora of bonus features, this will be quite the treat. I can’t wait.

5. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    Only 10 hours remain to help us preserve AFRICA SCREAMS and have your name listed on-screen in the restoration credits. Don't delay, submit your pledge now for this exciting project!

www.tinyurl.com/saveabbottandcostello

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ponset, Gary OS and TravisR like this.
  6. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

Squeaked in just under the wire! Thank goodness my paycheck went in today. :) Can't wait to see the results. Thanks for all the wonderful work that the 3D Film Archive has done over the years to bring these older films back to life.

Tony Bensley and Bob Furmanek like this.
  7. Brian Kidd

Supporter

Question: Having never seen any Abbott & Costello outside of their "Who's on First?" routine, what films are their best?

I really want to see a few before Africa Screams comes out. I noted that in the most-recent Nitrateville podcast, either Bob or Ron Palumbo (forgive me for not remembering who was speaking) said that Africa Screams is kind of a mid-tier A&C film. The short clip that was posted by Ron a while back made me laugh enough to let me know that I'd appreciate their comedy style, but if I'm going to dive into their catalog, I'd really like to start with the films that longtime fans feel are the best.

Any suggestions for someone who loves film, but somehow made it almost 50 years on this planet without experiencing one of the great comedy teams of all time?

Tony Bensley and Malcolm R like this.
  8. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    You can't go wrong with any of the following:

Buck Privates
    Hold That Ghost
    Ride em Cowboy
    Pardon My Sarong
    Who Done It
    Hit the Ice
    In Society
    The Time of their Lives
    Buck Privates Come Home;
    The Noose Hangs High
    A&C Meet Frankenstein
    A&C Meet the Invisible Man

Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Randy Korstick, TravisR, Tino and 8 others like this.
  9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I'm in the same boat, though I recently picked up the 28-film DVD set, so I have many at my fingertips. Will have to choose a couple from Bob's list, above, before Africa Screams arrives.

Gary OS, Tony Bensley and Brian Kidd like this.
  10. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I shake my head in wonderment that you guys are almost 50 but haven't yet seen an A&C movie - then I stop and remember I'm almost 65 and was privileged to grow up in the era of TV where they were scrambling for stuff to fill schedules. That meant we 50s/60s kids saw tons more old movies than you whipper snappers as local stations ran them all times of the day as the networks didn't then "own the airwaves" like they do now. By the mid 70s the old movies were pretty much gone from the airwaves unless there happened to be a 24 hour station in need of overnight content. And I don't recall many of the classic comedy team shorts or movies (Abbott and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, The Marx Brothers, Martin and Lewis, The Three Stooges) gracing the airwaves much, if at all, even when "all movie" cable channels came into being.

I somewhat envy your first steps into the world of A&C. But I've been watching them for decades and have enjoyed *every* viewing.

11. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
  12. Message #92 of 102 Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    All good choices. I am partial to their earlier films (anything up through ‘45), so I’d add 3 of my Top 10 favorites to Bob’s list:

Keep ‘Em Flying
    Here Come the Co-eds
    Abbott & Costello in Hollywood

Gary “thank you, Bob, for heading up this project” O.

Randy Korstick likes this.
  13. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    All or most actors/actresses have a signature movie, like singers who have a signature song.

Bogart is probably CASABLANCA; Tom Hanks, FORREST GUMP. Vivian Leigh, GWTW.

Arguably, what would be the signature film of A&C?

14. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    That’s a tough question.

I would say either Buck Privates or A&C Meet Frankenstein or Hold That Ghost

battlebeast and ahollis like this.
  15. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

As someone who just turned 54 I am shocked there are those nearly 50 who have not seen an Abbott and Costello movie. They were on every Saturday in the 70's and 80's on TV in Southern California which is where I discovered them and they have played on the old AMC and TCM since then. Although I sure would love to be watching them for the 1st time again.

Gary OS likes this.
  16. Brian Kidd

Supporter

Alas, they weren't airing in rural WV during the 70's and 80's.

I watched Hold That Ghost for my first A&C film. It was delightful. While it took a while to get started because of the unnecessary musical numbers (I guess Ted Lewis is an acquired taste.), once the actual plot took over it was a ton of fun. Lou Costello had quite the gift for facial expressions. Great comic timing. I think the big surprise for me was Joan Davis. She practically stole the show every time she was on screen. I know of "I Married Joan," but have never seen it. I will have to try and remedy that.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I very much look forward to watching more.

BobO'Link, Paul Hillenbrand and Tino like this.
  17. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    Hope you can find the "I Married Joan" syndication, co-staring Jim Backus! This gave me fond childhood memories!

18. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    They weren't in the Mid-South either. AMC launched in October 1984 but didn't come to our town until 1987/88 and TCM didn't launch until 1994.

It's possible their movies aired on WTCG (the first superstation from Ted Turner - launched December 1976 to 4 cable systems in Nebraska, Kansas, Alabama, and Virginia - by 1978 it was nation wide - we got it in 1977) or WTBS (WTCG renamed in 1979) but I don't remember as I wasn't watching that much TV in those years (finishing college, graduating, first job, partying).
    It's very similar to I Love Lucy. It also stars Jim Backus (voice of Mr. Magoo and Thurston Howell, III from Gilligan's Island) as Joan's husband, Judge Bradley Stevens as well as her real life daughter, Beverly Wills, playing her sister (only 21 total episodes for her so you won't see her regularly).

VCI has released 5 volumes of I Married Joan on DVD. They have 10-12 episodes each from across the show's 3 seasons (98 episodes). That is, there'll be random episodes from each season on each release. Quality is acceptable but nothing spectacular.

19. Brian Kidd

Supporter

I watched a couple of episodes that I found on YouTube. They were quite funny. Certainly dated in a lot of ways when it comes to gender roles, but that was the time in which they were produced.

20. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    Bob

Got the latest newsletter and fully understand, with the current situation i expected possibly that lots of things would be delayed, but your explanation of the status of the material that you are working with, along with the current pandemic, if anyone is complaining then they need to reassess their priorities.

Hope all at the 3-D Archive is safe and healthy

Mark-W, cinefan, ahollis and 2 others like this.