1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help Save Abbott & Costello's AFRICA SCREAMS!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Bob Furmanek, Dec 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    That’s great Josh, thanks for your interest. The campaign will be active until December 30.

Mark, thank you as well for your kind words. We’re working on the 3-D restoration of TAZA as we speak and Kino will be announcing the street date early in 2020.

I have to say, it looks absolutely beautiful and Sirk/Metty’s stereoscopic compositions are outstanding!

2. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
  3. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    I thought it was an interesting article as well and it's a great way to circumvent Bootleggers from stealing your hard-earned work , or should I say somebody who does Restorations from having their work circumvented stolen and used for other people's releases.

Tony Bensley and battlebeast like this.
  4. Message #44 of 99 Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    I am delighted to announce that ClassicFlix will be handling the Blu-ray and DVD distribution of our AFRICA SCREAMS restoration!

ClassicFlix started as a rental and retail site in 2007 and launched their own home video label in 2017. Their output focuses exclusively on classic film and television with such releases as the iconic film noir Raw Deal (1948), the charming screwball comedy Merrily We Live (1938) and Bud and Lou’s first independently made feature, The Noose Hangs High (1948).

Their commitment to high production values show as their restorations have received praise from film critic Leonard Maltin, among others, with every Blu-ray release also featuring optional English subtitles.

In 2018, they inaugurated their budget Silver Series line to make lesser-known titles available in affordable DVD editions. The Complete Hal Roach Thelma Todd and Patsy Kelly Comedy Collection and the recently released The Complete PRC Michael Shayne Mystery Collection are just two of the popular line’s releases thus far.

Check out their website at www.classicflix.com

[​IMG]
    I had the great pleasure of working with ClassicFlix on their release of THE NOOSE HANGS HIGH. I know they will do an excellent job with distributing our new restoration.

We've got three weeks to go in the campaign and there are still one or two stretch goals to be announced. I hope to post the next goal within a few days. In the meantime, please continue to share our project. This is a very unique opportunity to help restore a classic film and even with a $10 pledge, backers can get their name on the restoration credits.

Thank you very much!

5. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    Great choice for a distribution partner the other titles have picked up from them are awesome

6. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

This is awesome news, and I agree wholeheartedly with Dana. I think ClassicFlix has done a great job with all the titles they have released to date. I am glad that the Africa Screams Kickstarter is doing so well. Was bummed that ClassicFix's Blondie Kickstarter was unsuccessful.

I am confident this will be a wonderful release and will pre-order Day One. I choose to order directly from ClassicFlix in the hopes that they get to retain more of the money.

Bring on more stretch goals! :thumbsup:

7. Astairefan

Astairefan Second Unit

Neil Powell
    So glad to hear Classicflix is releasing this one! That fact alone is a selling point for me! With the extras currently being included (so far), will this be another Special Edition release (price might be higher, but it's well worth it as far as I'm concerned), or just a regular release from them? And, for that matter, any estimates on when it will be available for retail?

8. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    I don't know about the Special Edition designation but our goal is to have this released no later than May 4, 2020 for the 71st anniversary of the films World Premiere in New York.

Africa NY premiere May 3.

9. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

But what about Red Canyon? ;)

[​IMG]

10. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    I'm waiting for confirmation on one aspect of the next stretch goal and hope to have that information later today. www.tinyurl.com/saveabbottandcostello

In the meanwhile, here's a sneak peek at the terrific material I'm lining up for the Blu-ray/DVD photo gallery; a great ad from the "Laff Show of a Life Time" - AFRICA SCREAMS May 19, 1949 opening at the Oriental Theatre in Chicago. Those "Screwballs of Nonsense" The 3 Stooges and "Hollywood's Favorite Funnyman" Mischa Auer (HOLD THAT GHOST) appeared on stage for that amazing show. There were four shows a day on weekdays and five shows a day on weekends. Ticket prices ranged from .50 to .98 cents.

Anybody have a time machine?

[​IMG]

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I'm definitely buying this when released. I'd like to contribute, but don't really want to create yet another new online account to do so. Too bad there isn't a way to just make a Paypal donation or similar.

Also not thrilled that Kickstarter takes 5% off the top PLUS extra 3%+ for payment processing. Seems pretty steep for providing a few MB of cloud space and facilitating a few automated/computerized credit card donations ($1600+ of easy money on a $20,000 effort).

But I'm glad this effort is doing so well to cover all the fees while still having enough left over to do the project.

12. Marc Hampton

Marc Hampton Extra

Marc
    Great stuff. Ive never seen the film and am only a casual fan of A&C ... but it is kind of exciting to be a part of a film restoration effort. Any time a movie is rescued from public domain hell, I'm onboard. So nice to have some positive, fun news these days.

13. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    You’ve no idea...

laser, Peter Keller, B-ROLL and 6 others like this.
  14. battlebeast

Warren
    I wish we could do kickstarters for all of our favourite films that lack proper restorations.

I could name two films right off the top of my head that I would easily give $€£¥ to have restored. (Both have never been released on home video at all.)

15. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    Warren, now I want to know what those two are?

16. battlebeast

Warren
    East Lynne and The White Parade. Only available to be seen at UCLA. When I saw them in 2011 as part of watching all (at the time) 494 BP noms, East Lynne looked decent, although it must have been a work print because it contained marks on where to trim frames and still needed to be cleaned up. The White Parade was in bad shape; not Grey scale, but a pinkish color, and one of the later reels had jitters and misaligned frames (half of one, half of another.) I would GLADLY pay to help restore these two IF they were to be released on disc Hell, i'd settle for legit DVD at this point. I hear there is a bootleg of East Lynne somewhere.

dana martin likes this.
  17. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    For every pledge of $20.00 and higher, backers will receive a link to download the complete set of 8 full color lobbycards from the 1949 theatrical release. Plus, the 4 lobbycards from the 1953 re-issue when AFRICA SCREAMS was paired with the final Marx Brothers film, LOVE HAPPY will be included.

If all goes as planned, stretch goal #3 should be announced tomorrow!

[​IMG]

BobO'Link and Tino like this.
  18. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

As someone who has participated in several kick starters mainly for board games I can say you are doing a great job Bob and going above and beyond for a kick starter.

19. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    Thanks very much, Randy.

It’s my first solo campaign so I am very glad to get some positive feedback!

RBailey, TravisR and Tino like this.
  20. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    Randy Korstick and ahollis like this.