1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help Save Abbott & Costello's AFRICA SCREAMS!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Bob Furmanek, Dec 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Brent Reid

Brent Reid Supporting Actor

Brent
    Not referring to anyone in particular, but...

Certain peoples' sympathies towards buying bootlegs and "grey market" (an insidious, misleading term if ever there was one) releases has long been a matter of record. As has certain peoples' complete lack of knowledge but unswerving confidence in their opinions on certain matters.

In general, a conscientious poster might consider it good forum etiquette not to derail threads specifically created to raise awareness and funds for film preservation. That's something most – but apparently not all of us – agree on. Speaking personally, when I want to discuss an unrelated topic I take it to a dedicated thread or create one of my own. But maybe that's just me.

Keep up the fantastic work, Bob – you and your team. I'm sure most here are 100% behind you and hope you do profit from restoring this worthy PD film, so you can invest in saving many more like it in future. And anyone stealing your transfer deserves a slow, agonising death. History has shown us that even if something happens to be legally right it is often far from being morally right.

2. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

I have to admit I've never seen any Abbott & Costello outside of Who's on First. That scene was hilarious. Going to have to remedy the situation.

Tony Bensley and TravisR like this.
  3. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I still have my copy of the Image Laserdisc of Africa Screams and Jack and the Beanstalk. Jack and the Beanstalk Laserdisc had some great extras like a children's storybook record album version of Jack and the Beanstalk that was released around the same time as the film. I hope Jack and the Beanstalk is next.

4. DVBRD

DVBRD Stunt Coordinator

Andy
    And why others put watermarks on the films for the exact same reason.

5. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    Thank you to everyone for your interest and support. We've done so incredibly well! www.tinyurl.com/saveabbottandcostello

If we can get the campaign to hit $15,000.00, we'll unlock our first stretch goal. There are some VERY cool extras waiting in the wings so please continue to share this project and help us to reach that milestone.

Here's a sample of the rare images that will be included in a Photo Gallery on this release. Bud, Lou and Hillary Brooke leave the African jungle and cool off with some ice cream during a break in filming. I like the stagehand in the foreground who was probably told to quickly get out of the shot!

[​IMG]

ponset, Tony Bensley, Mark-W and 7 others like this.
  6. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I would say a copyright is protection so that one can reap the rewards of their work. If someone else can copy a restored film and sell it for $5 while the company that did the restoration needs to sell it for $20 to break even, how are they to reap the rewards of their work? While I like extras, if I can buy the identical movie for $5 as opposed to $20, I'm going to save the $15.

BTW, Disney takes those PD stories, adds value to them, and copyrights their new version of the story. The restorer takes the PD film, ads value to it, and would like to copyright it, but can't.

As Malcom says, it's a miracle any PD film is ever restored.

7. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    Bob I have a stupid question, but then there really is no such thing as a stupid question who will be your release partner for this Kino or flicker alley?

8. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    That’s a very good question and it will be answered shortly...

9. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    Please check out today's update to save this deteriorating Abbott and Costello performance from live television.

https://youtu.be/aDMPWehmnO0

[​IMG]

battlebeast, Mark-W and Gary OS like this.
  10. Message #30 of 99 Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    Just as a matter of record, YOU brought up bootlegs first (in post #3) and the other posters were following a line of thought you, yourself, had introduced.

On another note, I'm thrilled that "nearly" 300 backers (of which I am proudly one) have already raised nearly $16K for this project. Your genuine love for this is amazing and inspiring, Bob!

Jimbo64, Tony Bensley, Mark-W and 7 others like this.
  11. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    Thank you very much Will and just to be clear, when I found these 35mm nitrate elements, I was working with the Abbott and Costello estate as archivist.

In addition, I didn’t just randomly locate this material from a private collector, they came from the man who had bought the rights in 1953. If I had not done the hard work to find them, it’s very likely the nitrate elements would’ve been junked when the storage facility went out of business.

Tony Bensley, B-ROLL, Mark-W and 12 others like this.
  12. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    It's TERRIFYING how much of our film history is dependent on the vagaries of chance!! It makes me ill to think of it.

Tony Bensley, B-ROLL, Mark-W and 7 others like this.
  13. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    I’m hoping some contributors to this discussion can appreciate how it feels to have your work ripped off when you’ve done all the heavy lifting to save a film!

Tony Bensley, B-ROLL, Mark-W and 10 others like this.
  14. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    So that I clearly understand, once you’ve restored the film, it is legal for someone else to copy it and profit from it?

Tony Bensley and Mark-W like this.
  15. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    30 years ago, there wasn’t much you could do but now there are strong legal tools to help. I’m happy to say that we’ve got one of the best copyright lawyers in the business on our team!

16. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Good. You are saying you can copyright your restoration.

Tony Bensley, battlebeast and Mark-W like this.
  17. Message #37 of 99 Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    The Rubdown is saved and will be restored for our AFRICA SCREAMS Blu-ray and DVD release. Thank you everyone for your support in saving this precious Abbott and Costello performance!

We've just launched stretch goal #2 and 3-D fans are going to love this one! www.tinyurl.com/saveabbottandcostello

We only need to sell another 30 copies of the Blu-ray in order to meet this goal. Please continue to share this campaign on social media to help us reach $18,300.

Please note: this will not be an actual physical copy of the comic book. It will be included as an image supplement on the Blu-ray and DVD.

18. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    Wow, once again you've come through and have successfully backed another stretch goal! The Abbott and Costello 32 page 3-D comic book from November 1953 will be restored and included as a photo gallery on the AFRICA SCREAMS Blu-ray and DVD release. You’ll be able to view it in either discrete polarized 3-D on the Blu-ray or red/blue anaglyphic 3-D on both the DVD and Blu-ray. We’ll also include one pair of anaglyphic glasses (a replica of the original Super Sight Goggles that came with the comic book) with each disc.

Thank you very much!

[​IMG]
    If you'd like to know more about the 50 3-D comic books that were published in 1953/54, check out this page on our website: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/images-from-the-archive/comic-books

The next stretch goal will be announced shortly but in the meantime, we're preparing some great news about this project that will be posted on Sunday for our one week anniversary.

Thanks again to everyone for your interest and support, we couldn't do it without you!

19. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    How long is the Kickstarter open? I fully intend to support it and want to be sure I don’t run out of time.

Tony Bensley and Bob Furmanek like this.
  20. Message #40 of 99 Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Mark-W

Mark-W Producer

Mark
    Bob,
    I have nothing to add here other than THANK YOU for your work on this.

Ever since the thread waaaay back when about which version of Africa Screams on DVD has the best quality, I have longed for a DVD (now Blu-ray) of this film that you approved of. Knowing your passion for this and how you had had your efforts ripped off always distressed me.

This is the easiest ever Kickstarter for me to back.

I am most excited about this release. The restoration, and now a commentary by a true subject matter expert, has me giddy.

Only slightly related, I just noticed on your site that you have a version of Taza, Son of Cochise.
    I would like to buy it, but I cannot find your version on Amazon or eBay.
    Do you have a link where I can buy it and know I am getting your version?