What's new

3D Help restore the Golden Age 3D movie 'September Storm' (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I was hesitant about SEPTEMBER STORM at first, as Maltin's Classic Movie Guide, its opinions and ratings with which I agree 80% of the time, gives this film a "BOMB." But, this is a golden age 3D film regardless of its intrinsic qualities (or lack thereof), plus 3D Film Archives is responsible for its coming to light (I had never heard of the film until the kickstarter campaign took off), so I donated. I'm sure it will look great and will be a bunch of fun to watch, even if the story is dull and the acting sub-par. And I do hope this film falls into the 20% of reviews in Maltin's book that I vehemently disagree with.

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
I'll bet watching a murky, pan-and-scan copy that probably aired only in the wee hours on snowy UHF channels would give just about anyone a dim view of September Storm. It is going to be an entirely different experience in 2.35:1 3-D with vibrant color.

With all due respect to dissenting opinions, I think the three established leads, Joanne Dru, Mark Stevens and Robert Strauss, give entirely adequate performances. The young Asher Dann is not always completely persuasive in his role, but he does have a youthful energy and charm that makes up for other shortcomings. (And let me add, the Asher Dann of today is a treat to meet in person--a very engaging and hospitable man with a special gift for storytelling. I think his interview is going to blow people away.)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Spot on Mike and I'll share a comment Leonard made to our group after the first 3-D Expo in 2003. "These films are much better than I realized."

He should revise his reviews accordingly for any future edition of his Classic Movie Guide.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
He should revise his reviews accordingly for any future edition of his Classic Movie Guide.

There will not be one. Mr. Maltin declared that last year's was the final Maltin Movie Guide. Get 'em while they're hot.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
There will not be one. Mr. Maltin declared that last year's was the final Maltin Movie Guide. Get 'em while they're hot.
The annual standard movie guide was discontinued. There has been no announcement about the CLASSIC MOVIE GUIDE, which is sponsored by TCM and published every five years. Hopefully, that one will stay in print for at least a while longer.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

When you have IMDB, I guess there is no need for this. However, if he was smart he would have started a database back in the day.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
When you have IMDB, I guess there is no need for this. However, if he was smart he would have started a database back in the day.
He must have licensed it to TCM. The TCM database reports his star rating a couple of sentence review.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

I don't consider IMDB (or Wiki) to be as accurate as the Maltin guides, for which almost definitive research was conducted for every entry. Their capsule reviews are short, but what is there is pretty damn reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks