Help replacing blown out drivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan T, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Hi,
    I’m wondering if you guys could give me some help with picking out good musical speakers for my enclosures. I have a pair of EV interface studio monitors and one of the woofers is blown out. I was going to just replace the woofer but I found out EV does not carry replacement woofers for that model anymore. Today I was looking through partsexpress.com and saw they have a ton of 8" woofers but I don't know which to get, I also would like to replace the dome tweeters and crossovers in the EV speakers with new ones. Here are the external measurements for the enclosures H 21 1/4", W 11 7/16", D 9", the box is made from 3/4" mdf and is ported with a 3" diameter tube that’s 3" long. I'm trying to stay under $100 for drivers if that’s possible. I have two boxes so I need 4 drivers. I’m looking into getting a dealership with Parts Express so that should take a bit of the price if that helps. If you could suggest some good drivers for music that would be great, Thanks.
    Ryan

2. Rick Chwiendacz

Well, if you're replacing the woofers, the tweeters, and the crossovers, you might as well do it right and replace the box as well. Which would mean of course, building your own speakers.
    There are many kits out there that are ideal for a first-timer, or if you're already fairly well-versed in this sort of thing, building one of WayneJ's projects on www.speakerbuilder.net is pretty much guaranteed to give excellent results.
    - Rick

3. Chris_Brunhaver

Another option would just be to get the woofer reconed. For the kind of driver you are talking about it would probably cost in the $40-$50 range. Reconing isn't a perfect solution as the driver specs can end up a bit different depending on how close a match in cone, spider, voice coil and adhesive they use, but it would probably be better than scrapping the speakers.
    -Chris

4. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Well I looked over the crossover and it seams fine I think I will just replace the tweeters and woofers. The ones I’m looking at are the Dayton 8" series 2 woofer and the Dayton 1-1/8" silk dome tweeters. you can see the woofer here http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...=7755&CATID=49 and here is the tweeter http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...=7350&CATID=49
    Do you think these would work well in my 1 cu. ft. enclosures? I believe the crossover is at about 2500 HZ but I’m not sure. The only reason I would not buy a kit is because I really stink at woodworking, unless I can find a kit with premade boxes. So if you could give me any suggestion they would be appreciated.
    Ryan

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Ryan,
    I would do the same thing you're doing. Replacing the drivers in a well designed box is definitely orders of magnitude easier than building from scratch! Especially id you don't have tools.
    I can't give you any specific advice except to say that I think you're on the right track. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker

6. Art Miller

Art Miller Stunt Coordinator

OK, you've got two ends of the spectrum voiced here, throw everything out, and just plug in some drivers that fit the holes and crank it up.
    Story time...
    I wanted to build some speakers a year or so back, and I started out with woofers, and a tweeter, searching for a crossover design. It got to be too big of a project for me, so I wound up buying a custom made assembled crossover, custom made boxes and merely finishing the boxes and slaping in the drivers and crossover. They sound great by the way.
    I can see that it might could make the project unwieldy to have to start from scratch, but really, you can't just plug in drivers to an unknown crossover and expect them to make music. You would be best off if you want to use the boxes to find drivers (woofers) that want to see that kind of space. You could leave the port or plug it depending on what design that you find. The crossover that you have might be totally inappropriate for the drivers that you are thinking about. At the very least, call up Madisound and ask them to reccommend an 8 in driver and tweeter combo, and suggest one of thier off the shelf crossovers--based on the volume of the box that you have. You will be much more satisified with the results.
    Good luck!