Help! Remote power switch for Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DorianBryant, Jan 4, 2005.

1. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I have just picked up 2 Yammy p2100 amps. One is powering my DIY shiva and the other will be powering my mains. These do not have any 12 volt trigger for power and i do not want to leave them on all the time.

I have found a remote power outlet which I could plug a surge protector into. What other options are out there. My wife will not want to have to turn both on as well as the receiver, tv, etc.

Have heard there are some current sensing surge protectors out there that will turn one outlets once it detects the receiver or whatever has been turned on. Can't seem to find anything.

Any ideas?

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I assume you've found the Russound ACT-1? I'm using one right now in my system and it's fantastic!!! Highly recommended!!!

3. Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for a similar device. My Pioneer 1014 has a switched outlet, but it will not power the separate power amp for my subwoofer (a Hafler D500). Is there a device that will use the switched outlet signal to actuate a set of contacts that will handle this much 120v. power?

Richard Boneske

4. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

the panamax max2000 has current sensing outlets, however it has been discontinued for some time now. i suggest you search around ebay and audiogon for a used max2000. they usually sell for under $300 (they were $999 new).

kevin t

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The answer is directly above your post! Russound ACT-1 on Google The power for my Crown DC300A subwoofer amp among other components is going through my ACT-1 triggered from a 12v adapter plugged into the back of my Pioneer receiver, so I'd say it has enough power capacity for most amps.

6. Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske Stunt Coordinator

Philip,

Thanks for the answer! I read your post thinking the ACT-1 was an amplifier similar to car power amps that turned on and off with input signal. It's too bad there isn't a unit like this that triggers off 120 volts AC. It's no big deal, though, as there are 12v supplies that cost very little, take up very little room, and draw very little current.

I would think there are a lot of home theater users that use a separate large power amp for subwoofers and/or large main speakers. I've often thought about doing the left/right main speakers with a pair of Hafler DH200's as the Pioneer sometimes (fairly often) overloads with my Infinity Quantum Q2's which are very power hungry--and 4 ohms.

7. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I read in another post that Sears had a current sensing power strip in the tool section that is used to turn on shop vacs when power tools are turned on. I went to Sears and of course they had nothing.

I saw the Act-1 for $55 on one page. I was hoping to find someing simple and cheap.

I have also seen the "smart strip" which can be bought on-line for about $35.

Any options at Home Cheapo or Rat Shack?