Help, Record player won't reach receiver...

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Mark Riley, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Mark Riley

Mark Riley Agent

Ok I got a new record player that has Red/White plugs that are hard wired in and plug into my receiver. My old record player had just phono outputs so I used a long Red/White cable.

I bought a Dual Phono plug Coupler as what I figured would be an extension piece in a sense to connect the 2 sets of Red/White wires. This didn't work because no sound came out of the record player. The Radio Shack part on the coupler is 274-1548. What should I be using instead assuming this is my problem. The old player worked fine so I have to assume it is the Coupler that doesn't do what I wanted it to do.

2. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

There isn't much that could go wrong with the coupler.

I'm guessing that, in essence, what you have is one very long "red wire" and one very long "white wire" with the turntable at one end and the receiver at the other. in the middle is the coupler.

Are you quite certain that you hooked red to red, and white to white, and that the RCA plugs are in the same spot as your old turntable?

Have you tried moving the TT closer to the RCVR and checking if it works without the couplers and extra cable?

Just some things to try.....

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Practically zero chance it could be the coupler. Try plugging the turntable directly into the receiver, to make sure it’s working. If it is, your extension cables are bad. If it isn’t then the turntable is bad, or maybe the receiver’s phono input is bad.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

It may not have to do with the cables at all....

Are you plugging it into an input labeled PHONO?

Does the new turntable have a Phono Pre-Amp Built in?

Did the old one?

5. Mark Riley

Mark Riley Agent

I haven't tested it out more yet since I just got back from camping. My old record player had an aux port that i stuck rca cables in and then connected it to the receiver in the md/tape input. when i switched players, I took nothing out of the receiver and just took the wires out of the old player and stuck them into the coupler paying attention to red/white. Then I plugged the new player into the other side of the coupler. The only time I had plugged the new player anywhere else was into a TV just to use the TV speakers. It worked except I had to put the volume all the way up.

6. John Gido

John Gido Second Unit

Sounds like you might need a preamp.

7. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

If you were plugging it into MD/Tape, the old one definitely had a pre-amp built in. If your new one doesn't, then you'll need to purchase an external phono pre-amp. It will install neatly where the couplers are now.

Before you go out and buy one of those, you can check under the platter for a pre-amp switch. Some turntables have them built-in and can be disabled in case you have an actual phono input on your receiver. If you want more help, the model number of the turntable may cinch it for one of the members here.

8. Mark Riley

Mark Riley Agent

The new player has a switch to go from line to phono. The top of the player has a jack to hook a tape player to if I wanted to use that through USB in recording to the computer. It is set on phono. That's why I don't think I need the preamp plus the fact it worked on a tv, just was not loud at all (probably due to it being old tv speakers). If I do need the preamp, at least I'll know that's the fix. I'm going to test it out now and try changing it to line instead of phono just in case.

The Model of the player is ION ITTUSB

"Features: This turntable also has line level output for connecting to any home stereo with CD or auxiliary (AUX) inputs. It features 33 1/3 and 45 RPM (software allows for 78 RPM), adjustable anti-skating control for increased stereo balancing, high-speed vinyl recording, line level RCA outputs, and adjustable pitch control +/- 8%." - From the specs on Circuit City's website

9. Mark Riley

Mark Riley Agent

WTF, how did I not test the switch earlier. Yeah it was supposed to be on Line In rather than Phono In for some reason. It works fine and I successfully ripped the new Springsteen folk record.