Help recommend a decent 3 quality amp, please!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lynn Johnson, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Lynn Johnson

Lynn Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I think after owning my setup for more than a year now, I am very much interested in the possibility of migrating to separates, as I hear the sound quality is much improved. Currently I have M&K 750thx speakers, with a Denon 1802 receiver. I also have a Denon 1600 dvd-a player. Problem is, the Denon 1802 only has 3 pre-amps spot available, so I thought starting off with a decent 3 channel amp would be a start. The M&K's are 4 ohm speakers across the front, so I suppose that would be a deciding factor too. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Any decent amp from any of the decent brands like Rotel, Parasound, B&K, ATI would fit the bill. If you go used you would be able to find one within $600-700 on e-bay or audiogon. In case you want to go lower you could start off with a decent stereo amp and still get all the improvement for 2 channel music and quite good improvement for your HT since it will free up much of your receivers power supply to better control the center and surrounds.

3. Brandon Blair

Brandon Blair Stunt Coordinator

Audio Refinement Mutli-3 would with a doubt be my choice for a 3 channel amp. This amp is 125 watts/channel at 8 ohms and 200 watts/channel at 4 ohms. It retails for $1395.00. Here is the website for Audio Plus Services the North American Distributor for Audio Refinement. They a really good write up about Audio Refinement and about their Multi Series Amps. I beleive you can also find your local dealer on there too.
    www.audioplusservices.com
    Good Luck,
    Brandon

4. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

Lynn,

I saw a great price on a 3 channel Chiro amp at audiogon.com ($450 if it's still available!!), there were also a couple of B&K amps (3 channel) over there too.

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

There's also the $1000 or so Adcom GFA-5503:

3 Channels
    200w/chan at 8ohm
    350w/chan at 4ohm

There was a used one on ebay for $675 a week ago, so they do show up once in awhile.

There's the Parasound HCA-1203, which you can find used.

3 Channels
    140w/chan at 8ohm
    200w/chan at 4ohm

The HCA-2003:

3 Channels
    220w/chan at 8ohm
    300w/chan at 4ohm

The Anthem MCA3 and MCA30, the Earthquake Cinenova Grande 3 ($1099-1500 or so, 300w/chan at 8ohm), and a few others.

6. Lynn Johnson

Lynn Johnson Stunt Coordinator

First, thanks for the awesome suggestions. Definitely helping, though I have a question. Doing a little more research, I noticed that my speakers are suggested to use 50-200W. Now, my receiver does 80Wx5 channels into 8 ohms(my front 3 are 4 ohm speakers), so my question is - do you think I would notice a definite improved sound quality if the mains and center are driven by an amp that does 200W+ x 3 channels? I am not against getting an amp if I think it will make a big difference, but since I'm not UNhappy with the current config, I just want to be sure that these speakers are worthy of getting more power. Otherwise, I would just wait until I buy a house and build bigger speakers...ideas? Thanks...

7. TerryHenson

TerryHenson Agent