1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Help recommend $2000.00 speaker reciever combination. (5.1 system.)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by greggor, Jul 20, 2003.

1. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    I have a friend who has a $2000 dollar budget for a reciever and 6 speaker combo for a 5.1 set up. I own Paradigm reference speakers all the way around and he loves the way my paradigms sound so I have been recommending some of the less expensive Paradigm speaker set ups to him. I was thinking maybe the Titans, CC-170, Atoms for surrounds and a PDR-12 Sub Woofer. This should add up to around $1200, which will leave about $600.00 left over for a reciever and decent cables etc. Please recommend good reciever match-ups with whatever speakers you are recommending.

Here are his room dimensions:

15 X 13 carpeted
    7' ceiling
    Very nice 57" Toshiba

He is also a big fan of the Bose AM-15 setup that I am trying to steer him away from.

Thanks in advance for all of your help,

Greg

2. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Anyone???

Can anyone here atleast comment on how this set up would sound and maybe recommend a reciever that would match up well with these speakers?

Greg

3. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

hey...I know where Lemoore is!

Look at offerings from Ascend Acoustics and Axiom Audio. Both of these companies have great customer service and reviews.

Both of these companies offer great value and IMHO sound better than the Paradigms you have listed.

4. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

That should be a nice little setup. Match it with a mid level receiver from Denon, Marantz, or HK among others and your friend will have a nice little system. Another possibility for a receiver would be the Pioneer Elite 45, I've seen some excellent prices on them recently.

Another speaker setup you might want to check out is the new ELT from AV123.com. They are now taking preorders on this system. It is a complete 5.1 package for $899 (preorders receive free shipping). It uses the same 5-1/4" mid drivers as their Rockets and 3/4" tweeters of the same material as the 1" tweets in the Rocket 150's and 300's. The center channel is a 3-way which is rare if not unique for a speaker in the price range. All the speakers are beautifully finished in real wood veneer (cherry stained birch), not vinyl.

5. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Thanks for the responses,

I was also thinking Denon or Pioneer as well as Harman Kardon. I would really like to see him bump up his budget a little to get the denon 3803 as it would be a nice match for the paradigms and will give him room to grow.

Greg

6. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

If he gets the ELT system, your friend would have money left for a 3803 and speaker wire.[​IMG] I've heard great things about the system from its introduction in Dallas several weeks ago. Knowing the quality of the product Mark puts out, I think it should compete easily with systems costing twice as much from B&M's.

Here's a link to some pics of them and some initial impressions: http://forum.av123.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=759 Other impressions can be found from some other threads regarding the Dallas show, just do a search for ELT or Dallas.

7. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Ascend Acoustics with 170s, the 340 CC, and a Hsu HTF-2 with shipping is $1370(maybe add tax if in CA) and will be much nicer than a Titans/Atoms setup. The 170s I bought for a secondary system quickly knocked my Paradigm Mini-Monitors out of the main system. With the 170s in addition to the richer sound; I heard brushes on drums, breathes taken, and the timpani. I wasn't hearing those things on the Minis. Ascend is in Galena Park. I don't know were Lemoore is to know if you could pick them up and save shipping.

Marantz has an authorized reburb outlet at accessories4less.com. A 7200 is $500. NAD refurbs can be found at HTF sponsor www.dmc-electronics.com a T-761 is $500 or a T-752 is $650. Also try www.yawaonline.com for NAD refurbs.