1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HELP - Reciever Died - Lexicon MC-1 questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TomK, Sep 2, 2001.

1. TomK

TomK Stunt Coordinator

Well my faithful HK AVR-65 bit the big one this weekend (on movie night wouldn't you know it). My wife has authorized the purchase of a pre-owned Lexicon MC-1 (my dealer has ones that are being traded by customers that are upgrading to MC-12). So I am very excited about getting one of these except I have some concerns:
    1. There was some talk about the performance, or lack there of, with two-channel stereo performance. This is of big importance because I do 50/50 music/HT. Any opinions?
    2. No support for either SACD/DVD-Audio whichever I decide to go with.
    Those are my two major concerns. Does anyone else have any concerns/opinions? Is there anything else that I should be aware of? Should I consider any other brands in the same price range?
    Thanks all!
    [Edited last by TomK on September 02, 2001 at 09:43 AM]

2. Greg Cellini

Greg Cellini Agent

Hi Tom,
    I own a MC-1 and can unreservedly state that there is NOTHING wrong with the 2-channel performance of the MC-1-it gives exactly what it gets. Most Lexicon owners will question why anyone would want to listen in "2-channel" mode (as it's called), with such outstanding processing modes available. I guess I'm just one of those 2-channel guys-I prefer to listen to stereo material in its original aspect.
    You're not going to be able to connect the current selection of DVD-A/SACD players to the Lex. There is an expansion port on the MC-1 to accomodate a digital ouput standard WHEN THE PARANOID INDUSTRY MORONS IMPLEMENT ONE!!!! However this will pass the DVD-A/SACD stream directly to the DACs (24/96) and then to the volume control and outputs. All effects modes are bypassed as they are coded for 16 bit data.
    Hope this helps,
    Greg
    The best and therefore definative website for Lexicon discussion and support (supported and monitored by Lexicon) is www.smr-forums.com. Give'em a try.

3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

The digital input module would only work for DVD-Audio (which uses PCM to begin with) and not Direct Stream Digital (DSD) encoded SACD discs.
    How much is the used MC-1 going for? I would suggest looking at the DTS-ES and ProLogic II software upgraded Integra Research RDC-7 pre-amp. Absolutely loaded for only $4,000 retail and it has superb sound quality (high end 24 bit/192 kHz multi-bit DACs), very low jitter (pro-grade Apogee master clock chip), XLR balanced outputs (besides unbalanced RCA), and FireWire upgrade jacks for DVD-Audio (starts with a 7.1 analog bypass input).
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
    [Edited last by Dan Hitchman on September 02, 2001 at 01:57 PM]

4. TomK

TomK Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys.
    I thought that the 2-channel performance must be as good as the rest of the system. I can gtet this unit for under $2000 althought I'm not exactly sure of the price yet. Let me throw this into the mix. They also have a Sunfire Theater Grand II which is going for $1995. I've looked at the specs and it also look real good on paper. Anyone with any experience with the sunfire? I'm trying to keep the budget to around 2K so I don't get "those" looks from the wife.
    Thanks!
    Tom

5. Bob Muhlhan

Bob Muhlhan Auditioning

If you can get a used mc-1 with v4 software for under $2000, just do it. You might have to wait for a workaround for SACD, but with so little software and the likelihood of an eventual upgrade if the format actually does take off, you'll meanwhile have a great processor for ht and music.
    2channel on the mc1 is quite satisfying and unless you have ears that have been trained and jaded by years of high-end listening, you'll have to go a long way to beat the value of the piece. And you won't touch it for your price line anywhere else IMO.
    Good luck.

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

If you can position 4 surround speakers as needed to optimize the *7* modes on the lex...then for 2 large...it's a great move. If you'll be limited to 2 surrounds...I'd still get the MC-1 myself,but there's probably a few other options to at least consider.
    Another note---while you're thinking about adding side surrounds...consider adding side woofs. The Bass Enhancement function on the lex isn't the panacea some make it out to be...but it's fun to play with.
    last note---be sure to go through ALL the setup parameters(for overall setup and for each *mode* you use)...there's some really interesting tweaks you can make to the sound with the lex,
    TV

7. Michael D

Michael D Stunt Coordinator

For 2K, great price by the way, I would get it. If you can, take Tom's advice and get the side speakers, they do add a lot to movie watching. For straight two channel, I don't have any problems, it sounds great to me!
    ------------------

8. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

For that price, it is a steal. Don't think twice.
    As for two channel, you may surprise yourself with the Lex's surround modes. I've always been a surround guy, so I understand my bias, but the Lex does surround, for movies and music, in a way that you don't find in many components. At this point, I wouldn't know what to do if I were limited to two speakers.

9. TomK

TomK Stunt Coordinator

Hey All,
    I just wanted to post an update. My apologies for the price on the pre-owned MC-1's. My dealer and I had a miscommunication here. For well under $2000 he was talking DC-1 and I was talking MC-1. I now realize after talking to him again and trying to get him to nail down a price (which depends on several variables including the number of trade-in's they get) would be around $3000 which effectively takes it out of my ballpark at this time.
    So I have decided to go with a Demo model Sunfire Theater Grand II that has the full warranty. I think I will be happy with this unit.
    Thanks to all for your comments!
    Tom