Help Re: Progressive DVD and HDTV problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Rags, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Hello all-

I just had a question in regards to a new progressive scan DVD player my father bought yesterday. I consider myself fairly well versed in most hometheater, but I myself do not own a progressive system therefore have no first hand experience in setting up progressive scan.

I was helping my father connect his new progressive Pioneer DVD player to his Samsung HDTV monitor, and here is my problem: when I set the DVD menu to progressive, the screen became blurred and separated into two screens (i.e, it showed the same noisy image on both the left and right half of the screen). I checked to see if perhaps I needed to change something in the TV menu to set it to accept a progressive signal, but I found no option. The DVD is connected via the component video input to the monitor.

My question: Is his HDTV not capable of displaying a progressive signal?

Am I missing a setting in either the DVD or TV menus?

Is is possible that the DVD player is just defective?

Am I an idiot for not knowing the answer to this quesiton (Answer: Yes)?

Thanks for the help guys, I was really frustrated with this last night. I was also embarassed that I didn't know the answer, but my inexpensive 32" RCA TV and PS2 as a DVD player doesn't quite give my experience in progressive. Any thoughts?

--Tom

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

On the TV, there is a difference between DVD and DTV, and you have to change a TV setup option for DVD. If you get it wrong, you get a screwed up picture. To quote the my Samsung TV instruction book, "the picture will show a double or skewed image."

3. Tom Rags

Marc-

Thanks for your help. Can you please be more specific? I have looked through my menu backwards and forwards and cannot find the answer. More specifically, should I be in DVD or DTV mode? In the setup menu from the TV, I cannot find anything that I could change to make it work.

In a more general question, is it possible for an HDTV to not be able to display progressive? I still can't tell whether I am just missing something in the menu or if the TV is just incapable of playing progressive since the interlaced plays fine.

Thanks again for your help.

--Tom

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Tom, what model Samsung does he own? I don't own one but I did look at the newer HDTV-ready models and I believe there is a setting called DTV/DVD. Check the Samsung site for the on-line manual for your model and take a look for it.

good luck,

--tom

5. Tom Rags

There is both a DTV and DVD setting on the menu. However, when either is selected (and the DVD player is set to progressive), a double image is seen in DVD mode and a split/skewed image is seen in DTV mode. I cannot find anything in the menus (or in the manual) to manipulate either the DVD or DTV mode...it is is either in one mode or the other, and both modes yield a messed up image.

Also, I am not sure of the model number off hand, but I could find out later today if it will help.

6. Scott Basham

Scott Basham Stunt Coordinator

Tom,

Actually, having an HDTV is the only way to make use of the progressive scan part of the dvd player. What happens is that the DVD player does the chore of converting the signal while it is still in the digital domain instead of running a standard interlaced output to the hdtv and then letting the line doubler do it's job. Whether or not that particular TV upconverts to a higher interlaced or over to progressive, I don't know, but most people agree that a good progressive dvd player will do much better at it.

Apart from the menu settings, you may want to look and the inputs on the back of the tv and make sure that there is not a separate set of components for DVD and DTV. Lastly, is there any chance that the DVD player and the TV are both trying to do the 3:2 pulldown at the same time?

I'm no expert, but there are many on this board. Somebody will be able to help you out, so just hang in there.

7. Tom Rags

So am I correct in assuming that:

a) my TV can 100% sure handle progressive if it is an HDTV monitor.

b) there is some menu setting or connection (as yet unknown) that is causing the problem

or possibly: I am doing everything correctly and either the new TV or DVD player is defective in some way

This is pretty frustrating. Thanks for everyone's help so far.

--Tom

8. RandyRush

RandyRush Stunt Coordinator

Just a guess, but make certain the switch on the back of the dvd player is set to progressive!

9. Tom Rags

Thanks for the thought, Randy. It is in the correct position though.

10. MichaelPascual

MichaelPascual Auditioning

Tom,

Does your dad own a PCK line of Samsungs? I have the PCK6115rx and it does not play dvd 480p. It does play 480p for hdtv. I wonder if it would work if you hook up the dvd to the hdtv inputs. I am not sure if this would work. I am sure others here could help with that.

11. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

This is more generalized but to comment on what Michael Pascual said, the TV may have more than one triplet of component video jacks and not all of them accept 480p.
    From the discussion on this thread, it seems to me that the jacks labeled DVD take interlaced video only.
    Probably the set marked HDTV will take both 480p and 1080i and automatically determine which it is. But be prepared to have to find a manual 1080i HDTV vs. 480p DTV selection using the remote and the on screen menus.
    480p is one of the various digital TV formats standardized in the U.S. and when made into a video signal (yup, it's analog at this moment) ready to feed the TV component jacks, it is the same as DVD 480p. However 720p is also one of the standard formats and very few HDTV sets accept that.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm