Help Re-find DVD Burner program...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Nov 25, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Hey all,
    I{'m looking to Ditch SonicMy DVD, because apparently it converts audio and video right on the disc. I load a 1.15 GB DVD File, it ups it to 2.53GB file.
    I found a program that didn't do this, but it required 6GB's of hard drive space instead. At the time, my 10 GB drive couldn't support it, but now my 100GB drive can easilly [​IMG].
    Can anyone help me out in figuring the name of the program?
    Thanks!

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

3. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>do you mean a DVD-ready MPEG-2 file>

Yep. My bad on that one. This one is a DVD Ready encoded file. And ahh on the latter explination. I guess that explains the 'Transcoding Audio message', wich I always found strange ... Thought I upgraded so that it was encoding in the proper format at 48KHZ.

Any way to find a DVD program that dosn't need to convert it?

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

The only DVD authoring program that I know of that supports digital audio is Sonic's DVDit Professional Edition which can encode in Dolby Digital 2.0. If I make an MPEG-2 file with audio set at a specific bit rate (I usually use 224/48), I can just about guarantee that it will maintain the same size as long as I tell DVDit PE to make the DVD with the same bit rate (224/48). It will still do transcoding, but it will still be much, much smaller than its PCM counterpart.
    DVDit PE (the non-PE version does not support DD 2.0) is the only sub-$600 DVD writing program that I know of that supports digital audio as opposed to PCM. (That doesn't mean that others aren't out there. It just means that I don't know of any.) The problem is that -- assuming that you want to be legitimate -- the cost is ridiculous. I think it's $599 MSRP.
    What's worse, DVDit PE's assortment of functionalities pale in comparison to the newest products from Ulead which have a lot of bells and whistles to them, including motion menus and so forth. None of these offer DD 2.0, however.
    So, unless there are other programs out there that I don't know of to take care of this, you're going to have to decide between bells and whistles and being able to store more data thanks to the DD 2.0 encoding.