Help! - ran out of optical ports.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Louis Di, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Louis Di

Louis Di Auditioning

Any ideas on how to get another optical input onto my reciever? I tried the radioshack optical y cable however that , to my knowelge turns one signal into two ( of the same signal) i couldnt seem to get it to pass the digital signal from two different components into one reciever input.
    I also tried the optical switcher from radioshack. I hooked it up to a proscan dvd player (the old divx one) and a ps2. It worked with the ps2, however my dvd player couldn't seem to pass the signal through the switcher, my reciever kept looking for the signal and all i heard was static through the speakers.
    is there a devicce that turns an coaxle digital input into a optical input?
    does anyone have any ideas on how to add another optical or am i SOL.?
    thanks

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

3. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

4. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

I'm assuming that neither your DVD player nor your PS2 have a digital coaxial output, although most DVD players that I've come across that have optical out, also have coaxial out....is that not the case with your player?
    I'm also assuming that your receiver does have an available digital coaxial input.....correct? If it does and if both of your components do indeed output optical only then the solution would be to convert the optical from one of those components to coaxial with one of these .
    Hope this helps.
    ------------------

5. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Rat Shack sells optical input selector for less than US$40