Help, ran out of coax digital inputs!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Straub, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Stephen Straub

Stephen Straub Auditioning

I just got a digital cable terminal and it only has a coax digital out on it. My a/v receiver has only one coax in, which is being used by the DVD player. However, there are two free optical (toslink) inputs.
    Should I purchase a coax to optical converter or should I just keep using the analog RCA inputs for the audio? Considering that the source will be digital cable, are there any benefits from using the digital input?
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Yeah, just get a converter or consider this an excuse to get a new receiver [​IMG]
    [Edited last by RichardH on September 06, 2001 at 06:00 AM]

3. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

For $25 I'd get one of these converters.
    ------------------

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What about using the optical digital from the DVD (providing it has one) which would then free up the coax?
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

5. Stephen Straub

Has anyone tried the Sound professional converter that Vin mentioned? Is it a quality product. I also found the CO2 converter at J&R for $50. Is the CO2 one better?

6. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Steve, just recently a friend of mine had a situation similar to yours so I recommended one of these converters (until then I knew these existed but never had the need for one myself).
    Anyway, we used it to convert the digital coaxial cable from his Toshiba DVD player to optical with one of these and it worked great.....well worth $25!
    Good luck!
    ------------------

7. Jon Carlson

Jon Carlson Extra

You asked if there was an advantage using the digital output. There may be, depending on what programming package you receive from your cable company.
    HBO has recently begun broadcasting a few selected movies in DD5.1, which sounds great. I also think the audio on the digital stations sounds better when using the digital output, even on pro-logic programming, but this may be the placebo effect. I only get digital audio on the digital stations, those above channel 100 or so.

8. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

MCM electronics has converters for about $15. Also,if the composite inputs on your receiver aren't used...you might be able to configure the system so that when you switch to an input...you can use the composite video input as a digital audio input...sort of like a built in digital switchbox.(but that could be a longshot).
    TV

9. Rick P.

Rick P. Stunt Coordinator

Stephen, I bought one of these awhile ago to use with my system - it works great. If you don't need the 2-way conversion that the Midiman CO2 offers, save your money and buy something like this instead.
    Rick
    ------------------

10. Stephen Straub

Rick, did you purchase the Soundman Professional online? If so, did customs charge any duty or taxes. I'm also from Ontario.

11. Rick P.

Rick P. Stunt Coordinator

Stephen, I did purchase it from Sound Professionals online. There is no duty, but you will be hit with exchange (of course), PST, GST and a customs brokerage fee. Note that at the time I bought mine they didn't ship to Canada via USPS so I used www.borderfree.com to save a bit on the customs / brokerage / shipping fees. I think the the online price then was $39 US and my total price was $92. Now that they ship to Canada via USPS you'll only have to pay the $5 Canada Post brokerage fee (plus taxes) so it should be pretty reasonable.
    Hope this helps,
    Rick
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Rick P. on September 08, 2001 at 09:51 AM]

12. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

Stephen, I'm from Ontario too and I have a Midiman CO2 that I've just "retired" after buying a receiver with more optical inputs. Check you local music stores, I bought mine from Cosmo Music in Richmond Hill (north of Toronto) for about $99.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

13. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

Every time I hear another anecdote like yours I get angry all over again. There was no excuse whatsoever for even introducing the optical connection. Toshiba should be taken out back and shot for introducing TOSlink. Luckily, I had the foresight to buy a receiver with 2 Coax and 2 TOSlink inputs. I wouldn't have bought a Sony under any circumstances--if only for this one reason.
    ------------------
    Norm Strong ([email protected])