Help raising pit bull puppy

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Drew Bethel, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

We just purchased a 6 month old female pit bull mix named “Sugar” from our neighbour because it appeared that she was being mistreated (boney, tied on a 2 foot leash without food or water for an hour yesterday, they never took him for walks or exercise, etc, etc, etc). She also stunk and we gave her a bath right away. They were not intentionally mistreating him, I just think they don’t know how to treat dogs properly.

What should we be worried about anything, or am I just being paranoid because of the bad press of pit bulls. The neighbour also has two young infants that were very fond of "Sugar". Sugar has never shown any forms of aggression to them. Sugar is also very quiet and we just heard a few wimpers when we put her in her kennel last night. This puppy is extremely friendly and we are now laying down some rules and boundaries that he is starting to pick up rather quickly: stay out of the kitchen, no jumping, “sit”, “stay”, and those kinds of things. We can also pet her and remove her food an replace it while she is eating. We were also told that she is house trained but she pissed on the floor twice yesterday and pissed and took a dump in his kennel.

We also have an adult male dingo mix named Mukeke that has been most excellent and is very intelligent…they’ve had one or two growling and snapping episodes over food and when hanging out. My wife says this is normal because dogs are hierachical(sp?)...maybe just letting each other know who is boss.

What should I be concerned about with a pitty. Sure he is “cute”, “adorable” and playful now but should I be worried? We haven’t paid the neighbour yet because we still need to find out if they will be compatible, shots she needs, etc. We hope to have kids one day so we want the dog to continue to be friendly and not aggressive.

Thanks.

PS We have been talking for several months about getting a playmate for Mukeke and this just seem like the right moment.

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

3. Chris James

Chris James Stunt Coordinator

Drew, are YOU sure you have a female? You flip-flopped him/her all through the post. [​IMG]

Pit Bulls have a bad rap because the way they are/were raised. A Pit (properly raised) can be very vicious, but only when he feels threatened, hurt, etc. Just like any other dog. Raise her right, and you will have a sturdy, heathly pet...who also has a great temperment. Here are a few tips for you.

They LOVE attention and affection. Attention is probably key. They are VERY loyal, and will almost beg for attention.

Get her FIXED! I would get this done as soon as possible. Reasons should be fairly obvious.

Invest in chew toy company stock. They will chew, a lot. I have caught my male chewing on a 2x6 piece of lumbar.

And training is important. They can be very hard-headed. Obediance, etc.

If you do keep her, have fun!

4. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Thanks, my wife is calling the local vet as we speak. We're thinking the worse. ie, she hasn't had any shots or have been wormed, etc. We already dropped about $200 yesterday on puppy supplies so it'll probably more vet costs.

Oh, and I'm sure she is a 'she'. Mukeke was sniffing a certain area like crazy. Due to a botched operation Mukeke is partially spayed/nuetered...whatever you call it for males. I've never had a female dog so I'm constantly saying 'he' only to be corrected by my wife. :b

We also bought a hard bone yesterday. One thing that was scary was the way she grabbed her little rag toy and shook it from side to side like a maniac...must be that instinctive thing to shake until it dies. Or maybe all puppies do this - she loved it. This is the only time we heard her growl - but it was probably in delight, hopefully. My wife tried to pry the toy out of his mouth but the jaws were locked on that thing.

5. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Definately get it fixed. Just hope you don't have one of the many inbred pits out there and don't train it to be your alarm system and it should be fine.

Just give it love like you would any other dog. They are just more of a liability than other dogs. Every dog I've ever had has bitten me once, no matter what breed. If a pit bites you though it tends to be worse than a toy poodle.

6. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

7. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

8. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

My g/f has a Pittbull.When I tried to get her to go out with me, she told about this Pitbull that hates men. I walked up to the dog, got down on one knee, held out my hand and he started licking me right away[​IMG]

Hes very sweet and gentle but is extremely strong (stronger than the Rotty I had)and is very capable of being vicious if he wanted to.

She said she box trained the dog as a puppy and he never goes in the house.As a puppy he never went to the bathroom in his box I was told.

If he does,its probally a habit he started from living with the neighbors and youll have to train him to break it.When training Hunter, I speak loud and with authority. Once he learns you dont have to do that anymore.I never hit a dog but will tap on the nose to get their attention and always move my body in his direction when he turns his head, so that he sees me at all times.

The key is constant reinforcement over and over and over again - until your sick of hearing ur self say it.
    When he does good, give him praise and let him know it. I always praise my pups while they were pooping instead of waiting until theyre done. So they hear "Good boy/girl" while theyre doing it.

He was also trained to know what rooms he cant go in. he'll peek in, but wont walk in the off limits rooms - so theyre very smart (and not nearly as stubborn as Rottys)

Theyre smart and easy to train. I got him to shake,lay down,and speak in only a few weeks.I think dogs that grow up around more people tend to be less aggressive.
    No trouble with the dog around kids.

One things about these dogs are their strength and their bite(and drool). I wrestle and play around with him.He will often step on ur feet or jump up and land on u and it can hurt. Theyre very heavy for their size.

Pits are good dogs. Good luck with the pooch.

I dont claim to be a authority on dog training, this is just what I did for her Pitbull and hes doing fine.

9. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Sugar is proving to be a quick learner. She hasn't soiled or peed in her kennel after just one night...we're praising her for going out doors like some of you said. she learner to sit and stay in one day...amazing. And Jonz, you're absolutely correct about the strengthof these dogs...they're mostly muscle.

We're spoke with our vet and she said to make sure that we help to establish our lder dog as the dominan one..this involves feeding him first, letting him lead when we go on walks, giving him cookies treats first, etc. This is cool stuff!