HELP Question about magnets on speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Octavio, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Octavio

Octavio Stunt Coordinator

Klipsch Reference speakers have drives components that are magnetically shielded, however they have magnetically attached grilles.

Can this damage the video image if they are placed near a TV?

What is the effect of magnets on TV screens? If magnets (unshielded speakers) are moved away will the damage disappear?

Around 10-20% of my TV screen (Sony 30XBR910) has a light green background even if I watch black & white stuff. I would like to know if this has something to do with my Klipsch speakers.

Thanks for your help.

Octavio[​IMG]

2. Philip>L

Philip>L Stunt Coordinator

I would seriously doubt that the small magnets used to hold the grills on the speaker are doing any harm to the TV unless they are within inches of it (if that).

Have you ever calibrated your TV using a disk like Video Essentials?

3. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

Same thing happend to my TV when I first placed my center channel on top of it. I have a sony 27" flat screen. I was told to place all of the speakers where you want them to be, then unplug the TV for 1-2 minutes, then turn it back on and it should "demagnetize" the screen. This worked for me and since you have a sony then it should work for you.

4. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

where on your tv screen is the green spot? if it is right near a speaker, or specifically in a spot adjacent to where a magnet is, then it could be the speakers. neodymium magnets, even if very small, can still affect TVs. magnetically shielded speakers can also affect TVs if they are put too close. best bet is to keep the speakers at least 3-5inches from the TV if possible. as far as demagnetizing your screen, it is possible, but only if it is not long term damage. most TV repair shops can fix it though.

eric