Help put together a small home theater

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianRS, Jan 9, 2002.

1. BrianRS

BrianRS Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to help a family member who wants to put together a small home theater package. The budget is approximately 4-5 thousand dollars. The only thing he currently has is a Sony DVPCX870D (Megachanger, non-progressive) dvd player he got as a gift. Here's what he is looking for:

1. Television - About 36" or so max, probably a direct view, hd ready, like the Sony Wegas. If so, which wega? He currently only has cable if that matters.

2. Receiver - Spend up to about $1000. Wants something that is good quality that will last awhile. (I'm recommending my Denon 3802)

3. 5.1 speaker package - Sub does not have to be part of the same package. I've read a lot of good reviews about the swan diva's but have never heard them.

Any comments about the stuff I've listed or suggestions about how to divide the budget up on other gear would be greatly appeciated!

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

$5K to work with? Try:
    nOrh nOrh 4.0 package - $850
    nOrh Prism 4.1 rear surround - $275
    SVS 16-46CS+ w/amp - $1,150
    Denon AVR-3802 - $900
    TV of his choice - $1,700
    Total - $4,875
    Breakdown ends up as follows:
    TV - 34%
    Speakers - 22.5%
    Sub - 23%
    Receiver - 18%
    Left over - 2.5%

3. BrianRS

BrianRS Stunt Coordinator

I definitely am recommending the SVS to him if there is still $ left. I love my 20-39PC and think it makes a huge difference! I didn't really think about the norh's. I'll give hi the site and let him take a look. Thanks!

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    make sure you look at the Swan Divas too. they are just as highly regarded as nOrh on this forum. www.av123.com. also, try to have him listen to as many speakers as possible and choose the ones he likes the best. noone can tell him what he likes!