What's new

Help! put scratcth in black gloss speaker (Velodyne HGS-15) (1 Viewer)

Joseph Kim

Agent
Hello,

I just got my Velodyne hgs-15 back from the shop and it came back with 3 small scratches. The dealer gave me a store credit for the mishap, but I'm left with the scratches. Can anyone give any recommendations on how to conceal these scratches. The finish is black gloss. The scratches aren't deep. They really aren't that bad, but I know they are there. Please help me. Thanx

joe

dajaga

Stunt Coordinator
take them back and get a new speaker. you still have your 30 day warrenty

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Take a non abrasive wax such as jubilee,
This will not take the scratches off, but it tends to fill & minimize the effects, an old trick from years past in the cabinet & retail display business.
It's not a very difficult task to to find & order matching replacement laminate, but if they are minimal scratches I would leave them as they are, you can nearly guarantee with gloss black sooner then later you will probably suffer a few more. :frowning:
There are also fills that can be applied, It would help to find out whom the laminate is from.
But gloss topcoat is hard to match.

David Sailor

Agent
A Sharpie!

Seriously, I had a pair of Cornwalls that were scratched from the kids when they were little. I took a Sharpie to a scratch in the back and rubbed it out with my finger. A perfect match? Not really, but step back a few feet and try to find it. The finish was a gloss black, unless the scratches were huge, it should work. David

Cary_H

Second Unit
If it were laminate you'd be pretty much done like dinner. All you'd be able to do is try to make the scratches blend in the best you can with the rest of the surface.
Since it's a gloss coat, I imagine it's much like the finish on pianos.
I'd tackle this one if it were me, but I have the right tools and know how. Rather than risk explaining to you how to do it and running the risk of getting you pissed off at me, why not have a chat with a piano dealer in your area? This kind of thing is everyday stuff to them.
I would try contacting the sub manufacturer beforehand since the first thing the piano guy is likely to ask, is whether the finish is lacquer, enamel, or acrylic based.

Joseph Kim

Agent
Thanx for the info...Jerry where can I buy jubillee wax???

For four years i had this sub with no scratches, and then i take it in for repair and it came back to me with 3 little scratches. not really noticable, but i know they are there. So it isn't under the 30 day return.

joe

Joseph Kim

Agent
almost 4 years later now and i never did get this fixed. i can't believe this thread is still here. haven't been on for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks