Help purchasing a widescreen television.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DustinV, Oct 24, 2004.

1. DustinV

DustinV Auditioning

My father has decided he finally wants to breakdown and purchase a widescreen tv. He asked me to do the research for him. He would like it to be no more than $3000 tax included. Size wise we only have room for a tv that is around 36"-40". We were both thinking that flatscreen and plasma would be nice. I'm not familiar with widescreen televisions and any help would be very much appreciated.

2. JohnRyan

JohnRyan Stunt Coordinator

Here is my 2 cents - From what I have heard, plasmas have the potential for burn-in and their life expectancy isn't as long as LCDs. I'm sure there are people out there willing to dispute this concept. While I love the pictures and concept of the plasmas, in the end when I'm getting ready to spend $3000 on a TV, I'd want to know that what I'm buying is going to last me for a long while and there aren't any chances for phospurs to poo and this and that...

Anywho, I came across the Sony KDFWE655 42" Grand WEGA (HD integrated) for $2499 at Best Buy ($2000 online through OneCall, shipped.) I believe this to be THE television I will purchase in the very near future. IMO, I think the TV has one of the best pictures out there (between CC, Best Buy and Fry's). It's 15" deep so it won't take up a whole lot of depth.

For what it's worth, I am suggesting you go look at this TV and see what you think.

John