Help pulling in FOX with new HD set-up

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by WadeB, Oct 9, 2003.

1. WadeB

WadeB Stunt Coordinator

Ok so I jumped into the HDTV world this week, and was thrilled to have MNF in HD. I was able to use the Silver Sensor with the Samsung SIR-T151 with little problem. I can also pull in CBS, UPN, WB and TBS (I know, not Hi-Def but it looks a lot better than what I get over satellite) with my set-up. Problem is, I was hoping to get FOX for the widescreen broadcast of the LCS games. The odd thing is that while tuning to FOX (channel 27) the green LED indicator on the front of the receiver comes on and the signal strength indicator shows just as high as the other channels, but I only get the “No Signal” message showing up on my TV. Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

In Atlanta, FOX's ATSC broadcast of the LCS games don't seem to be in EDTV (16x9), but are in the 4:3 aspect ratio.

It takes my Samsung SIR-T165 about 10-15 seconds to lock in on the Fox (channel 27 or 5-1) ATSC signal, and it'll show "No signal" until it does lock in on the signal (I live near a few miles southwest of Gwinnett Place Mall).

3. WadeB

WadeB Stunt Coordinator

Patrick thanks for the info. I still don't understand why I'm getting the green LED and the No Signal at the same time. I'll try being more patient and moving the antenna around a bit.

Since you are a fellow metro dweller, I'll ask you if you also have trouble with NBC (I know it's on the VHF band), and if so what you do to resolve it.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I don't get NBC on channel 10 using just my Radio Shack Double bowtie antenna, so I do without for now.

My plan is to eventually rig up a VHF antenna and combine both antenna signals to feed my Samsung SIR-T165 and try to get the local WXIA (NBC) HDTV feed. But I haven't felt like I'm missing that much of HDTV programming given what I watch on NBC on a regular basis (and conflicts of other HDTV content on other channels).

5. WadeB

WadeB Stunt Coordinator

I thought about the combination route and may give it a try. I imagine I could find what I need to do this at the Shack? Does anyone have any suggestions for a good VHF antenna?

The only thing I'd feel like I was missing on NBC would be American Dreams. I enjoy it, and it's my wife's fav show. I'd like to get it since she puts up with me bringing home so many toys with nary a complaint.

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Radio Shack makes some combination VHF/UHF antennas that work OK (sorry, I can’t remember the model number). If you are close enough to the transmitters to get the UHF signals via a bowtie, you are likely also close enough to get the VHF signal via ‘rabbit ears’. At least if the station has some reasonable transmitting power.

Otherwise ChannelMaster makes pretty good, large arrays, for attic or roof mounts.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I've got some old telescopic indoor VHF/UHF antenna that I'll use to try and pick up the VHF ATSC signal for channel 10-3 on my setup. I just haven't had any incentive to mess with it when I know there's HD material to be watched in primetime, so this little "project" gets pushed back further and further...

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

A good sign of the times that you are too busy watching HD to spend the time getting more HD. [​IMG]

9. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

WXIA is a pain to pull in.

After months of toggling a Rat Shack A-B switch between a rooftop Winegard PR4400 for UHF and the indoor double bowtie for VHF (I'm close enough to Briarcliff to use it for VHF), I ended up with a special order rooftop Winegard WS1955 VHF from Ed Hampton, whom I cannot recommend more highly. No more toggling and *excellent* signal strength at all times.

The WAGA problem sounds like multipath interference (signal bouncing off of buildings, hills, etc.) Does the Sammy 151 have a signal bar/strength meter? If so, does it bounce up and down constantly?

Best regards,
    ~~Nathan

10. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    fox doesnt broadcast any hd material but with a good antennae you should get their dig signal.
    also fox is only showing the world series in fox high res widescreen.

11. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    tonight the pre game was in fox widescreen. have the other games pregame been fox widescreen?