Help! - Pt-47wx42

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joshua Skains, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Joshua Skains

Joshua Skains Auditioning

Mar 28, 1999
    Ok, I just plopped down $1,616 (after taxes) for a Panasonic PT-47WX42.... Unfortunatly, I might have bit the bullet a bit fast. I have until Monday to cancel it if I made the wrong choice (I am thinking of throwing down another $100 for the 42H82 from Toshiba).

1. Rumor of Red saturation from this Unit.
    2. Rumor that DVI will become important for HDTV, making this thing obsolete (has no DVI capability).
    3. Rumor that this TV really isn't all it is cracked up to be.

I would appreciate some thoughts. I would rather have a good 42" than a cruddy 47" any day.

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

Aug 18, 2001
    RE: PQ issues, what deal-breaking rumors did you hear? All TVs have flaws. The Panny does as does the Tosh or the competing Hitachi or Mits or Sony, etc. Don't let minor flaws get blown out of proportion. Consider the various pros and cons of each set carefully based on your preferences and w/in proper context. The Panny may or may not be the best set for you even though some people may love it while many others may love various other brands/models instead.

RE: the DVI issue, the Tosh would still require an upgrade to do DVI/HDCP, which means added $$$. Yes, it's better to be upgradeable than not at all if all else are equal, which seldom are. Personally, I'd shop around some more before paying that much for the Panny. There are probably deals to be had that would make DVI/HDCP upgradeability a non-issue. For example, BJ's over here along the East Coast is selling it for just $1200(!) right now. At that price, I wouldn't worry one bit about DVI/HDCP since it would cost a lot to get.

And if you do fall in love w/ the Panny and still need DVI/HDCP, maybe you should consider waiting til late summer when the new Panny's w/ DVI/HDCP comes out. Your options will grow by then since all the major players will support it w/out needing upgrade.