1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Protection Alert

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jamey N, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Jamey N

Jamey N Auditioning

I have a Sony STR-DE945 receiver. I put on the new Bruce Springsteen DVD and my receiver keeps kicking to "protection" when i start cranking up. It happens only in the 5.1 mode-not stereo.
    My copy of Castaway does the same thing during the plane crash.
    I've checked my connections and they seem to be fine.
    My John Fogerty dvd will NOT do this. Fleetwood Mac won't do it either. Roy Orbison will in 5.1 mode-but hasn't in dts.
    I suspect my sub...but I'm not sure. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    jamey

2. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Check all of your speaker wires. Make sure none of them are frayed and touching each other.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

3. Ron Katcher

Ron Katcher Agent

Or any speaker wire threads are contacting with the receiver case... This was my problem just a couple of weeks ago when, after connecting new speaker wires, my receiver was kicking into protect mode at higher volumes and/or level peaks.

4. Jamey N

Jamey N Auditioning

I have checked the connections...but I'll take another look. Is there anything else that could cause this? Some sort of settings on the sub,or a setting on the receiver itself? I find it odd that it won't go to the protect mode while listening in stereo. It's just the 5.1 mode.
    thanks
    jamey

5. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

My first guess would also be a speaker connection somewhere. Once you eliminate that as an option you should review your owner’s manual and look for the error code your receiver is giving you. You may be asking more from your system then it can deliver? What is your speaker configuration? Are they 8 Ohm, 6 Ohm, etc? Is this only happening will all channels going at high volumes? Your receiver's power supply may be sufficient to drive your stereo speakers at any volume but under a full 5.1 load it may be cutting out to protect itself from damage.
    I hope it turns out to be a speaker connection, at least that's something you can fix without having to buy a new receiver.
    Thanks,
    Jeff