What's new

Help!! Problem with DPLII/DTS Neo:6 on Denon 3802 (1 Viewer)

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
I've had my 3802 for a few months now and haven't experienced any problems.
But the other day, while watching DirecTV, I had my ear near one of the surround speakers when the unit was in ProLogic II music mode. The signal sounded "warbly" and unstable. This was the case with each speaker other than the center channel.
I tried the DTS Neo:6 setting and experienced the same thing. However, when playing back a DVD, the speakers don't exhibit this problem--signals from each speaker sound solid. Problem also doesn't exist when using Denon's 7.1 theater mode.
The warble is not noticeable from my normal listening position; only when you get within less than a foot of each speaker.
I'm not terribly concerned since it's not that noticeable, but I was wondering if anyone else experienced this and knew anything about it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Bill_Wheeler

Auditioning
Same Warbling sound here with Dish Network and Cable TV on a Pioneer 811S in digital(optical) or analog mode with Prologic 2(Movie, Music), Neo6(Movie, Music). It will happen on certain TV shows and commercials, but not on DVD's(digital optical). You definitely have to be next to the speaker to hear it but you can tell that the surround sound is not all there from any listening position.

If I were to venture an uneducated guess; it seems to depend on the source sound, maybe it's mono vs stereo source I dunno.... If a Denon and a Pioneer receiver are exhibiting the same effect I would say it's not a problem with your reciever. When the warbling effects happens for an extended period I just switch to 5 channel stereo surround, not the best surround effect as no true center channel exists in this mode, but it beats the warbling sound.

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
I've experienced the same thing with my Denon 1803 in PLII and NEO:6 while watching TV. Definitely not audible from my seating position but can be heard with your ear to the speaker. To me it seemed to only come from the tweeters. It sounds like it must be a side effect of these nifty new processing schemes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks