HELP: Problem with Dolby on an Onkyo TX-DS555

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Travis D, Oct 27, 2001.

1. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

I've spent 6 hours of my life trying to get this to work and have failed. Can anyone help me?
    Problem:
    The Onkyo cuts off decoding of the Dolby Digital stream everytime the user cuts the stream by either pausing, fast forwarding, rewinding, or the DVD player switchs layers and or video streams (ie: choosing something on an animated menu). Everytime you do one of these things, the audio cuts off and you have to reset the decoding by switching to another funtion like Video or CD inputs and then switch back to the DVD input on the receiver. It will then resume decoding the current stream of Dolby Digital.
    Other Stuff:
    It is hooked up to a Marantz 5 DVD Progressive Scan Player through the coax cable.
    My friend would really like to fix this without having to get a new reciever and not having to switching functions back and forth to get surround. I figure someone out there knows enough about Onkyo's to help him.

2. TravisB

TravisB Agent

I had this receiver, and it suffered no such problem. It sounds like there's something wrong with your friend's.
    I'm grasping at straws, but you might try a different digital input on the off chance there's something wrong with just one of them. (Don't forget to set the receiver accordingly if you switch.)

3. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

Tried that. I switched to both Digital Inputs 2 and 3. I might convince him to try and buy a TOSlink cable just to try Digital Input 1.