What's new

Help printing Jurassic Park cover with HP printer (1 Viewer)

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
Was trying to print out the redone cover Matt made up in the HTsoftware section. When I do get the image I get this statement. There was an error writing to LPT1 for the printer (HP Deskjet 720C series). This function is only valid in WIN32 mode.
I have no idea what this means? I'm really wanting to print out the new cover, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using windows 98. I tried both "saving as" which saved it as a quicktime picture as this and all files were the only options on the drop down menu for "save as type", which when it tried to open it had nothing but a blank quicktime picture viewer window. Then I did the direct "left click" which opened up a new internet explorer window which I tried to print from which gave me the same error message.
I do have:
Photodeluxe 2.0
EasyPhoto 2.7
Kodak Imaging
Picture Gear 4.1 Lite
Help....

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
OK,
I'm not sure what you're downloading the image into, so I'll go through it step by step.
Click on either of these two links depending on which version of the JP cover you want:
Matt's DTS JP cover
Matt's Dolby Digital JP cover
(these are just links to the specific images Matt's site)
Your image is now downloading in Internet Explorer - correct?
When the image has finished downloading in the browser window (they're quite big, so it may take a while on a slow connection), just hold the mouse pointer somewhere over the image, right-click and select 'Save Picture As', and make sure you save it as a .jpg or .jpeg file to your hard drive.
Then it should just be a case of opening this file in any of the applications you've listed and printing it as normal.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
David,
first, let's make sure you downloaded the file properly. Check the file to make sure the file you downloaded was saved with the proper '.jpg' extension on it, and that the file size is correct (~1.2mb for the 200-dpi version, and 2.25mb for the 300-dpi version). If not, go back and download the image again. Using quicktime probably isn't the best way to go, so start one of those programs you listed (any of them look fine), open the file, and set up your printer (in 'print setup'). If you're still having problems, make sure you can print normally (in word/notepad or whatever).
-Matt

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
Did open in a new IE window.
Did right click save as jpeg.
When I went to open the file the icon of the picture was logoed a quicktime picture. Should I try uninstalling quicktime or is there a way to make quicktime not default to view images?
** EasyPhoto & Picture Lite are no go for opening the jpeg. "This version of such and such cannot open this jpeg."
I was able to open the picture with photodeluxe but it wouldn't print out as I tried to turn the picture to accomodate the size.
[Edited last by David Werner on July 30, 2001 at 12:23 PM]

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
David,
hold shift, then right click on the file. choose 'open with' then tell it which program you want to open JPG files. check the box at the bottom which says 'always use this program to open this type of file'
edit: you need to set up the printer in landscape mode, and use 8.5x14 (legal) paper or trick your printer into thinking that's what you are using
edit2: I also put up a matching lost world cover, check the software thread for the links
-Matt
[Edited last by Matt DeVillier on July 30, 2001 at 12:29 PM]

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
Oh boy, almost there. O.K., before going any further thanks alot guys for such quick responses on my troubles. I was able to open in the photodeluxe. I did change the print settings to landscape and it printed out everything perfect except that the right side was cut off a bit. The statement "The image is larger than the papers printable area some clipping will occur" came up.
OOPS My fault, I remember you stating to add 1 1/2 inch strips on each side and set to 14" paper. It printed out beautiful. Nice job on the cover and thanks for walking me through. David
[Edited last by David Werner on July 30, 2001 at 12:59 PM]

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
Matt, what type of paper have you had good luck with? I tried JetPrint premium photo paper, it looks great until you put it into the dvd case sleeve then it appears to have splotchy wet marks pressed against the clear plastic. Is there a good paper that looks glossy but will be dry against the clear plastic? Thanks.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
I had the same problem with that paper. I wound up getting some thin, low gloss stuff from staples. it was about $10 for 100 sheets I think, and 30 or 32lb weight (I forget the brand/type though). I also used some Great White inkjet photo and imaging paper, matte finish, which worked really well also
-Matt
------------------
My DVD collection

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
You'll get the wet blotchy marks unless you leave the paper to air for a while.
I've had this happen with Epson, Kodak, HP and TDK high quality glossy paper. It seems to happen more with the high-gloss stuff rather than satin or matt finish. If I print something that's going inside a case, I always leave it out in the air for a couple of days. Not sure why this is happening but allowing the air to get to it seems to do the trick.
------------------
Link Removed
"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks