Help Price my Receiver for Sale

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RobCar, Apr 19, 2003.

1. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

I've upgraded, and now I'm wondering what to do with my old receiver, a Yamaha rx-v496. Was thinking about keeping it to build a second system, maybe in the bedroom, but I'm thinking one system's enough.

So my question is, what do you think I can get for it? Retailed for $399 a year and a half ago when I got it. I paid more like $325.

It's 70w x 5, DTS, DD, etc. Here's a review:
    http://www.hometheatermag.com/showarchives.cgi?58:1

What do you think's fair? Not a scratch on it. Got the box and the paperwork etc.

Thanks --

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    As a veteran used gear buyer (most if my system I bought used) my general rule-of-thumb is no more that 50% of original street price (not list). There are exceptions, like perhaps for used products that are still current production.

However, not unlike computers, receivers are a high-depreciation product these days because the technology is changing so fast - e.g., component video, DPL II, etc. So you’ll be very lucky to get half what you paid for it.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Wayne. That's kinda what I was expecting to hear. Not too surprising given how quickly the new model years come out.

So you've had good experiences buying used? Seems like you can save a ton that way, but how do you know how the stuff has been treated?

4. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

I agree with Wayne. Used furniture, computers, receivers. In another thread here notice where you can get a refurb Kenwood 6070 for $269 shipped. That's 100wpc x 6, THX select with lots of features. Makes it hard to believe you could even get $150 for yours, no offense intended. It's almost just better to keep it or give it to a close relative. Or store it for awile. You never know when you might wish you'd kept it.

5. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

I just sold my Denon 3802 on Ebay for $100 less than I paid for it at an authorized dealer. It was 8 months old. People on Ebay have a tendency to overpay...

I realize that isn't the norm, but it can happen.

The best way to see what you can get is to goto Ebay and do a search for completed auctions on your receiver. You can get an idea of how much you can get.

6. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

Oh, definitely no offense taken. I figure these things are probably most like computers in terms of how well they hold their value. I'm just trying to get an idea of what to ask so I don't waste anyone's time asking too much. But your suggestion to give it to a close relative is sounding like a good one. Thx --

7. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

8. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

I'm in the same boat with two 'excess' receivers. I know I could only get a coupla hundred total so I'm thinking about giving one to my brother and one to my daughter. Plus it's a hassle selling stuff. But then again, a coupla hundred WOULD make a nice little dent in my latest purchases....hmmmm! :b

9. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Anyone that pays those prices on ebay is a fool though. You
    can not use those auctions as an example.

Here are examples of my Ebay experiances (I shop around..)

My Onkyo Receiver sold for $1050.00 I bought it new on ebay
    for $750.00

I just won the auction on a 2 week old, boxed, mind Parasound
    Halo P3 Preamp ($800.00 new) I paid $550.00

Ya just have to shop around [​IMG]

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

11. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

Wayne - you should write the Buyer's FAQ for ebay. [​IMG]

One fun thing about Ebay's search is how 'bad' it is at picking up little differences in the way you enter your search criteria.

Wayne searched for "YAMAHA RX 496" (I'm guesing). It brought back that one auction with no bids.

I searched for "YAMAHA RX496" (no space) and got 1 that sold. Unfortunatley (for you), it sold for $72.
    Yamaha that sold

Whenever I sell something, I always make the title so search will pick up the item. You have to think of every possible way someone can search for your item, and then get it to fit inside of 80 characters. I write software like this for a living, so it comes a bit easier to me than most (it isn't hard..most people just don't know to do it).

A good title for that receiver would be "Yamaha RX 496 RX496 surround sound receiver". Easy and obvious, but most people don't know to do it.

Good luck. For $72 you might consider just keeping it for a 2nd system.

On a side note: almost all of my gear is also used. I typically buy from Audiogon, but will occasionally buy from Ebay. After owning 5 used Rotel amps (980, 956, 985, 990, and now the 1070) and 2 preamps (980 and 970), I'm buying my first new one (RSX-1055). You save a lot of money buying used, but for once I'm breaking down to get a new model. Paired up with the RB-1070 I bought used for less than 1/2 of retail, it will be a great system.
    In the case of the RSX-1055 - they are going used for around $1000-1100. I am getting it new for $1170 + tax (got 10% off), so to me it is worth buying new for the 5 year warranty and dealer support.

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

My rule of thumb regarding selling old HT equipment is that if I cannot get at least $200 for the item, I will either keep it or give it to a relative/friend. I have an old Toshiba SD-6200 progressive scan DVD player sitting in a box in my basement right now -- it's a backup for my current Panny RP-91, and will probably go to my parents if I ever find a decent upgrade for the RP-91. I could probably get no more than $100 for the Toshiba, so it's worth more to me as a spare (I already have an older Sony player in our bedroom).

13. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

Wow, great info -- thanks a ton!

One small point, though -- the RX-496 you guys refer to is a 2-channel stereo receiver. The RX-V496 is the 5.1 channel DTS, DD home theater counterpart, which means it might attract a little more interest in the auctions. But probably not enough to put it too far over $100.

14. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

Wayne, after rereading your post, I've decided to save it for future reference. Thanks again!

I know what you mean about examining the photos. I've seen auctions for audio equipment where the seller hasn't even bothered to clean the dust off a unit. Not too encouraging.