What's new

HELP! Possible screen sizes for 3 possible projectors (1 Viewer)

Kyle C

Auditioning
Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated...I have my electrician coming tomorrow:
The room size: 20x12x7. Two 4 foot tower spearkers on each side of the room will permit a max screen width of 104", or a diagonal of 119".
Two viewing areas: Primary viewing area will be an L couch in front, viewing distance about 14 ft.
Another couch will be directly behind up against the back wall on a riser, viewing distance about 19 ft. Possible screen sizes as I see it for 16:9 (diagonal): 106", 110", 119".
Possible projectors: Sony VPL-HS20, Sanyo PLV-Z2, Panasonic PT-L500U (Based on forum advice I chose these three. DLP was ruled out because I couldn't find a model in this price range that could project this size image in a 16:9 format. Please correct me if one exists.)
The ideal location for projector: Above the heads of those seated on the first couch, 14 ft away.
Projector image size at 14 ft, and at 100% zoom (diagonal) : Sony VPL-HS20: 92-110", Sanyo PLV-Z2: 108-141", Panasonic PT-L500U: 117-138".
A few of my dilemnas:
Price: The sony is $650 more than the other two...is it worth it?
Ideal Location: Obviosuly I can budge a few inches here and there, and I do have more flexibility moving forward. Going further back means I am in the walking space of the second couch and I have short ceilings. Going forward more than a foot will distrupt those moving around up front. So...at exatly 14 ft, the Sony allows for 106" and 110" screens, the Sanyo let's me use 110" and 119" screens, and the Panasonic only allows me to use the 119" screen.
What are people's thoughts on the best screen size for my room, and thus, what is the best projector? If, for example, the 110" is ideal, it is between the Sony and the Sanyo. I will pay the difference if the Sony is worth it.
On another note, if I have two bookshelf surrounds, what is the best location for them, keeping in mind where the front and back couches are in the room? I was thining up high on the back wall angle slightly in and down.
Thank you very much!

Kyle C

Auditioning
mmm, it seems I have come across people on this and other forums that have gone bigger than 92" wide, or 106" diagonal at sitting distances even closer than 14 ft. Anybody else?

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
i would go bigger but screen door .bothers me so that is just my thought

sony hs20 would be my pic of the bunch for a pj

but my self i have the h30 and i am very happy with it .cheers

Kyle C

Auditioning
Do you think it's possible to notice SDE at 14 ft with the HS20 with diagonal screen sizes of 106"? What about 110"?

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
i mean it all depends on the viewer with my h30 at 15ft away i can not notice it and it is dlp though

but with the pj's that you have choosen xga pj's will show less screen door ;) but like i said it all depends on the viewers cheers

but i just found this on the panny model Onecall.com from now until March 31st for $1750 which is way below the Sony.
and if you are worried about virtical banding they have a firm ware fix for it .cheers

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I'm using an HS20 mounted approx. 14' from the screen and the first row seating is at approx. 12'. Currently using a DIY screen (106") and the picture is fantastic! No visible SDE.

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator

frank that sounds about right :emoji_thumbsup: and with your diy screen i persume 1 gain it should be great . cheers

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
I'm just studying up on front projectors but it would seem that anything much over a 92" wide picture might tempt the screen-door fairy into an occasional visit. Certainly anything over 100" wide would seem right out using an LCD projector and viewing at 14'.

The other issue is brightness. Even with a 52"x92" screen you're lighting over 33 square feet. The HS20 is arguably the brightest of the bunch but you're going to either have to run it wide open or using something like a High Power screen. At larger than 52"x92" you'd need to run wide open and use a High Power to get anywhere near 20 ft-L.

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator

well to be honest the ft lamberts for a movie theater is around 16ft lamberts and yes the bigger the screen the more noticable the screen door is (but some people are bothered more then others )

and if you use a high power with a lcd the black of a lcd that are not good from the begining will be washed out even more and to be honest the da lite hccv is the best screen that i have seen for a lcd pj

oh and if you use a high power screen it is retro-reflective and the viewing angle is very short and also i have seen that if you ceiling mount a high power you do not get the full gain from hp and if you mount the pj in a cabinet or wall (not high ) then you get more benefits from the high power .whewwww

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph

A lot of that has to do with the projector, it's resolution, ability to reduce screen door (ie mla - micro lens array), the colour of the screen (gray or silver being better than pure white), as well as the usual suspects (screen size and viewing distance).

For example, I cannot see screen door from 8ft away on my 96" screen.

Now, personally, I would not push any of these projectors past 106" though it can be done for sure. Brightness as mentioned is another key factor to deal with, as is contrast ratio once you blow the image up too large.

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator

neil that was my point earlier and i do agree with you there and like i said earlier i think the hccv screen is the best for the lcd pj's :emoji_thumbsup:

and that is why i would not push more than 92 x 52 screen

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter

I was actually pleasantly surprised at how wide the viewing cone was for a screen of that gain. You found the cone very narrow?

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
well not narrow but not as wide as regular screens because remember it reflects lite back to you ;)

Kyle C

Auditioning
Now I thought the latest favorite was the High Power? Isn't the High Contrast Cinema Vision for DLP's? What is best for the hs20?

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator

no the hccv is for lcd's call da lite and ask them to give you some samples of the screen materials of your choice and ask them for bigger samples :)

and the samples that i got from them where 12"x12"

because i saw the home 10 lcd on the hccv and the pic looked very nice .cheers

and i have heard of people using the hccv screen with dlp to with some good results

Kyle C

Auditioning
But this is right from their webiste??? :
High Contrast Cinema Vision

A smooth, gray, vinyl finish surface for moderate output DLP projectors. This surface improves the perceived contrast by lowering black levels while offering moderate gain. It is a flexible unsupported vinyl fabric and may be folded or rolled. Available on all models offered with the Cinema Vision surface. Screen surface can be cleaned with mild soap and water. Flame retardant and mildew resistant.

Viewing Angle: 45°
Gain: 1.1

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
i know that but if you like to get deeper blacks with a lcd try hccv .get some samples and then you can judge for your self Kyle .

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Call up Dalite and ask for samples (as big as they can send you) of:

1. High Contrast Matte White (not to be confused with High Contrast Da-Mat)
2. High Contrast Cinema Vision
3. High Power

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks