Help please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by paul haslett, Oct 10, 2002.

1. paul haslett

paul haslett Extra

Ok i have a Denon 1802 which i use wih my PS2 and my speakers are Polk 600i Fronts and Polk fx300 rears (i think).

So last night i was playing one of those ‘set your sound levels DVDS’, but when it got to the Subwoofer part no sound came out of any of my speakers. I do not have a sub, but the sound should still have come out of my fronts is that not right. On my amp i have the setting for sub on ‘no’ and in the manual it says this should put all the sub info though the other speakers. My friend checked the DVD last night on his system with (Yam Amp/ PS2) and sub off and he got the noise out of his other speakers.

What could my problem be, is this a problem with my Amp or could it be my speakers? Please help

Thanks

Paul

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    This does not sound right. Your sub is hooked via the LFE out on your receiver right? Why would you set the sub to NO? There is another setting for choosing small or large front speakers (also centre speaker) which diverts bass to the sub if you are using small speakers.

3. paul haslett

paul haslett Extra

no, i do not have a sub yet so i have set 'no' for a sub so i thought the LFE sound should come out of my other speakers but instead i hear nothing

cheers

Paul

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Paul,

Which test disc were you using? Different discs use different tone on completely different channels- so knowing which disc you were using might help.

How do you have your player connected to your receiver? Some people misunderstand how to properly connect the player- if you connect via the two analog cables instead of a digital send you are not getting 5.1. In this config, the player throws away the LFE track entirely.

Are your fronts set to large? Most receivers force you to set them to large if you set sub to NO- but I figured I'd double check.

-Vince

5. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

LFE signals go to a sub. Make sure you have your main (Front) speakers set to large and they will get all of the sound. When set to small the receiver sends the the low freq. a sub.

6. paul haslett

paul haslett Extra

ok the DVD is Video Essentials and my fronts are already set to large as are my rears but my centre is set to small.

my player is conected with a digital cable, my friend has checked the DVD on his PS2 with no sub and it works ok.

cheers

Paul

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Paul,
    1) Do the other test tones come out of the proper speakers? Specifically, when the left and right rear tones are happening- do they come out of the correct surround speakers, or do they come out of both at the same time? Can you double check that (pay close attention and see if you get exclusive left and exclusive right surround tones- or if they both play the tone on each)?
    2) How is the output on your player set? Is DD set to PCM or Bitstream (this will be in your player setup menu)?
    3) When you get a dolby digital signal to your receiver- does it have an visual indicator that shows dolby digital 5.1 signal? If so, are you sure this is lighting up, or are you in a "dolby surround" or "dolby pro logic" mode?
    My first instinct is that somewhere the VE soundtrack is being downmixed to 2.0. When this happens- the LFE track is thrown away completely, which would explain your lack of sound and the fact that your friend has no such problem.
    I'd also double check the manual and menus to make sure that there is not an additional setting to route bass to the mains.
    -Vince

8. paul haslett

paul haslett Extra

all the other test tones are fine it comes out of all the correct speakers at the right time, i am not sure about question 2 i will have to look tonight but my amp does detect that the DVD is DD 5.1 and i have it so it automaticly goes to DD 5.1 or DTS depending on what the DVD has.

thanks

Paul

9. paul haslett

paul haslett Extra

ok so took it to a Denon service centre and they said. It is meant to be like this with DVDs, That when there is no sub, it will send the bass to the mains when playing CDs but not DVD's as the bass is mixed differently (or something like that i am in Italy and understanding is difficult) He also had another 1802 there and he checked the Bass on that system with the set up disc sub chapter and agian like mine there was no bass though front speakers when sub was set to "no"

does this sound right to you?

i am a relative novice, but i thought setting the sub to 'no' meant the LFE channel should goto the front speakers, but from what i have been told this is not the case.

should i call denon in the states and ask there service people if so does anyone know the number

cheers

Paul

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well, I am so far unsure if there is a "standard" for this. As far as I knew, as you stated, setting sub to no and mains to large SHOULD result in LFE material being routed to the mains. However- some processors choose not to do this, and it seems your Denon is one of these.

-Vince