1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Help please..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sarah Lynn, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Sarah Lynn

Sarah Lynn Auditioning

MY Sony KV36XBR450 finally arrived yesterday and I am not all that pleased.
    I am happy with the picture playing DVD's etc. But when watching cable TV the picture isn't up to par. I am going to be upgrading within the next 3 to 4 months to HDTV. But for now I am using AT&T Broadband digital cable. I called the guys from Crutchfield where I brought the TV and they told me to run an S-Video cable from my Motorola Cable Box to the Television. The only problem is that the AT&T / Motorola bullshit cable box doesn't have S Video.
    So I flew out the door and headed over to Tweeter and they recommended Entech Composite-to-S-Video Converter. Has anyone here ever used this cable? It sells for $139.00 and there's not much to the thing at all.
    Product Link below:
    http://products.monstercable.com/por...d=33022&-find=
    Thanks for your help.
    -Sarah

2. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Sarah,
    I would try the link to the cable site I provide below, you can call to confim, but I think this will work and it's cheaper at $30.
    A2z cables
    or this one
    A2z cables another one

3. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

Have you considered the possibility that just using digital cable the picture you are getting is as good as it gets? With a high quality TV like that, you are really going to notice just how bad cable really is.

I guess you could go ahead and buy the nicer cables, but make sure you can return them if they don't improve the picture. All they can do is faithfully reproduce what is coming down the line, and often that is NOT a great picture. You may just have to live with it until you can get HDTV.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Your TV has a circuit called a "comb filter" whos job is to convert Composite to SVideo.

I strongly suspect the comb filter in that Sony is nicer than the passive external one.

So I'm afraid your display is sharp enough to show you how poor the CATV signal is. Not a lot you can do about it.

Note: There are some adjustments you can make for the CATV input that might soften/hide the problem. You often need to do this with out-of-the-box televisions.