Help please

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by ben.s-s, Mar 9, 2004.

1. ben.s-s

ben.s-s Auditioning

I just bought a marantz sr4300 and at the moment dont have enough speakers, so i was wondering if it was possible to make my TV the centre speaker. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

This is a popular solution- however on most receivers it might be difficult.

You would need a preamp output on the receiver for center channel (you cannot just hook the speaker output from the receiver to the TV- because this output is POWERED it wil fry something).

I actually did this for a while with my first setup (an old Pioneer that has a preamp output for the center)-- and had tons of problems. First of all, the output from the preamp out was relatively low level- meaning the TV had to be CRANKED really loud for it to work right- and so on cable TV with bad white signal- the white level would crosstalk into the audio, and emit a really crappy BUZZ...

In addition, it sounded HORRIBLE. I found that using my receiver in "phanotm" mode (which was what they used to call it if you had no center channel- now you just tell the receiver you ahve none)--- I found doing this made the l/r speakers get the center signal, and it sounded 100 fold better.

I don't know your sr 4300 specifically- but if it has preamp outputs for the channels, you could wire the center output into the TV's line input (make sure to get a Y adapter from radio shack because the receiver will only have 1 center output, and you'll need to plug it into the L & R channel inputs on the TV)-- if you have the jacks on the receiver, if you buy the adapter- you could then try it out, and probably find you like it better with the main speakers doing the job.

YMMV

Vince

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

What vine said, but don't waste your time, tv speakers suck. unless your other speakers are unbeleiveably bad, go without a center for the time being. Just make sure you go into the menus and set your center to OFF, or you'll lose that channel since the receiver will think theres a center connected if it's set to ON.

4. Kerryn R

Kerryn R Auditioning

aw - I don't know if all TV speakers suck - my Loewe set can hold it's head up in that regard. I use both the HT system and the tv in tandem - I find it provides depth and richness to the overall soundscape. Is that a bad thing to do?

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It's "bad" if it's giving you inaccurate sound. But if you like what you're hearing, who else do you have to please?

6. Clayton Jr

Clayton Jr Extra

Certain televisions (like my Toshiba 34HFX83) have a switch that lets you specifically designate the TV's speakers to be the center channel. Since the HFX83 has excellent speakers and a built-in subwoofer, this isn't a bad solution.

7. Cory_W

Cory_W Auditioning

It really does not matter how good someone thinks their TV speakers are, the fact is they are all poor quality compaired to a seperate center channel speaker. Its just better to cough up the extra cash.

8. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

Go to Goodwill or a garage sale and plunk down five bucks. It will be better than your TV speakers and won't be so complicated.